R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

2007 R class halogen headlight assembly repalcement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R 320 cdi
2007 R class halogen headlight assembly replacement

My 2007 R320 cdi headlights are degraded on the inside of the lenses not the outside. I suspect that a full replacement of each assembly is needed.

My question is how to remove the assemblies as some research indicates that the fender liners and/or bumper need to be removed to swape out to new units.

Also, has anyone used this set-up to install Xenon bulbs to improve lighting performance? If so, are there any issues or modifications needed to new housing assemblies? https://www.mteclightingusa.com/MTEC...p/hid-w251.htm

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by CarolinaR320; 07-15-2024 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Today, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
R350
Originally Posted by CarolinaR320
My 2007 R320 cdi headlights are degraded on the inside of the lenses not the outside. I suspect that a full replacement of each assembly is needed.

My question is how to remove the assemblies as some research indicates that the fender liners and/or bumper need to be removed to swape out to new units.

Also, has anyone used this set-up to install Xenon bulbs to improve lighting performance? If so, are there any issues or modifications needed to new housing assemblies? https://www.mteclightingusa.com/MTEC...p/hid-w251.htm

Thanks in advance for your help.
Good Morning,

I have taken both headlights out in my R series to replace all the wire shielding in the headlight assembly. You will want to take great care in handling and inspecting the wires. I had a HID setup put on by the previous owner which quit working. I took it all out and went with LED. In the process I had to remove both headlights cut the connector and heat shrink every wire back to the connector and solder the connector back on. If you don't and the wires touch without shielding you will short out the SAM in the rear of the car. It's a know problem with MB. I have no idea why they used such bad wire in the headlight assemblies.

Long story short remove the 3 bolts in the top of the fender and remove the fender liner. That will give you access to the bottom bolt that runs through the headlight assembly. It's all pretty quick work. The top two bolts are very easy to access from the top. After that you are out. Getting the bottom bolt back in proved to be a challenge. My car had some front end repair at some point so things were sprung a bit making getting the bottom bolt started without some force from another person on the frame was impossible.

Good Luck!