R63 AMG (W251) 2007 - 2013 Discuss the R63 AMG.

R63 Catch Can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
R63 AMG
R63 Catch Can

I’ve been looking at installing a Weistec Catch Can on my R63. That said, I’m not sure where there is space in the Engine Bay for a 4”x8”, at engine level, place to mount it. Has anyone else installed one? If so, where did you mount it? Any photos by chance??

Thanks team!!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R63
R63 Catch Can

NoahWeb,

I just did plugs on my R63 so I took some pictures for you. Hopefully it's not too late All in the materials cost right around $100.00 give or take $10.00. Labor was free.

Just a heads up, I did all the work when I was cleaning and resealing my intake manifold. I wouldn't want to do the job with the manifold in the car.

I normally empty it at the 3000 mile point and its usually an 1/8th full with a lovely brown sludge (oil and moisture) in it. After having the manifold off and seeing the amount of oil that was sitting in the manifold and the crap in the valve chambers and on the valve stems, anything has to be better than Mercedes design. I've had the can on for a while now and I've never had any pending or hard error codes related to the PCV system. Don't ask about the fuel pumps, that's a whole different story. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's where I installed the catch can. It's just one of the generic units from eBay. It's baffled but is a single chamber can.

Another picture of the can. I purchased this one because it had the 4 threads on the top. The brackets are cheap painted wall hangers from Home Depot. You can find them in the hinges section.

Catch can from the top so you can see how it's mounted.

Hose connections at the catch can.

This is where the hose connections and PCV is relocated to. It just floats with the hoses. The hoses kind of sit on the coils (somewhat). Everything fits under the wiper cover and engine brace when reinstalled

Better view of the catch can. You have to cut up the PVC to work. There was no way for me to get the manifold situated with the PVC in the original location.

Picture of where the PVC is usually mounted. I just cut the portion of the PVC that fit into the intake manifold and connected a hose to it using a hose clamp.

Terrible picture of the connection under the intake manifold. Once again, just cut up the PCV, used what I wanted and connected the hose using a hose clamp.

All buttoned up

One last picture, since they're worth 1000 words

Last edited by ImSW1; 10-11-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added cost of job
Old 10-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
R63 AMG
@ImSW1 Awesome work and thank you for posting photos!! I pushed the catch can to the back burner as the transmission valve body/conductor plate started to fail. Still leaning towards installing a catch can though...suspect that the intake manifold would appreciate it.

How many miles do you have on yours? Emptied it yet?? Looking forward to that update!!!

Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2019, 10:20 AM

R63
NoahWeb,

No problems with the pictures, I was in there doing plugs anyway. I have just shy of 130K miles on the R. It's a Canadian model that was imported into the States.

My intake manifold had oil sitting in the valleys and crevices when I pulled it off, and I'm talking about a lot of oil (pooling). I can't see how a catch can couldn't help with the amount of oil that was being dumped and not burned. I was originally only going to seal the manifold, but after seeing the disaster the intake manifold was, I decided to do the catch can. I should have taken pictures of the manifold off but there's quite a few already on the internet for the M156. Mine was worse than these pictures (scroll down to see a C63 at 140K kilometers):

Intake Manifold Pictures

I'll take a picture of the sludge I pull from the can in a few thousand miles. It doesn't take long for it to start collecting in the can.

Last edited by ImSW1; 10-12-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 PM

R63
Originally Posted by NoahWeb
@ImSW1 Awesome work and thank you for posting photos!! I pushed the catch can to the back burner as the transmission valve body/conductor plate started to fail. Still leaning towards installing a catch can though...suspect that the intake manifold would appreciate it.

How many miles do you have on yours? Emptied it yet?? Looking forward to that update!!!

Thanks again!
Here's an update after 3.5K miles. The majority of the crap in can is water, which would have been burnt off normally. However, there's way too much oil in there as far as I'm concerned.

Catch can right off the vehicle.

Layer of oil after being emptied.

Basically 5oz of oil and water was in the catch can after 3.5K miles.
​​​​​​
Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by ImSW1; 02-16-2020 at 08:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NoahWeb (02-17-2020)