Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > R63 AMG (W251)
R63 Trailer Hitch Question >

R63 Trailer Hitch Question

Notices
R63 AMG (W251) Discuss the R63 AMG.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320

I live in Europe and am looking at buying an R63. I need one with a trailer hitch (to haul sheet rock and other building materials, as well as firewood - I have a trailer rated for 1500 lbs), but the best deal I have found (by several thousand euros) is on an R63 that doesn't have a hitch installed. I called my local Mercedes dealer and gave them the chassis number. They told me that the R63 I am considering is not compatible with the OEM hitch (something to do with the wiring harness not being compatible). I'm not interested in installing an aftermarket hitch. Has anyone here been told that their R63 was not compatible with the OEM hitch and been able to install one anyway and have it work? If so, part numbers and how to info would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers, 3.09 gears, R63 Obsidian black/java
Originally Posted by 1955W196S View Post
I live in Europe and am looking at buying an R63. I need one with a trailer hitch (to haul sheet rock and other building materials, as well as firewood - I have a trailer rated for 1500 lbs), but the best deal I have found (by several thousand euros) is on an R63 that doesn't have a hitch installed. I called my local Mercedes dealer and gave them the chassis number. They told me that the R63 I am considering is not compatible with the OEM hitch (something to do with the wiring harness not being compatible). I'm not interested in installing an aftermarket hitch. Has anyone here been told that their R63 was not compatible with the OEM hitch and been able to install one anyway and have it work? If so, part numbers and how to info would be appreciated.
People have installed them on R class. Not sure about R63, but the wiring harness should be the same as the R500. You may need to trim some bodywork, and you may have to replace the rear SAM module (but I don't think so) to program the electrics, but the Mercedes hitch should work.

Try accessory part number B66850077. That number works in the U.S. It contains everything but the separate valance panel to hide the hitch. That would be about $100 USD.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 ML 320 CDi, 06 R350L, 07 R63L
Hello, i retrofitted Westfalia 313 222 trailer hitch and bought used original wire harness. Just plug to rear SAM, code with SDS and ready to go... Not visible until you bow on your knees.
You can tow 2100kg.