R63 AMG (W251) 2007 - 2013 Discuss the R63 AMG.

Should I buy an R63 as my daily?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 01:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Should I buy an R63 as my daily?

Folks,

I've tracked down a wonderful R63 that I may be purchasing today as my new daily. It has 220k on it. Silver + black, well optioned minus distronic. Have not seen it yet so not aware of every issue, but I know the airmatic has been swapped and there are very small cosmetic imperfections. Service records appear to be great. The question is, should I get it? Yes it's wildly cool, but I hear parts are getting harder to track down these days. It's also a special car, and I already have a Magno 507 sedan that gives me enough grief trying to keep perfect. Is this car a money pit? Will it be trouble? I worry about rust as well, living in a colder climate. At least for this year, it would be parked outside 100% of the time. Just want to know how practical it is, and if I can daily it long term without killing it.

Please give me your thoughts.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-17-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 02:44 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
GLS63, R63, Cayenne Turbo & GTC4 Lusso
From 2008-2011, I daily drove my first R63, putting around 2000km each month. A few minor warranty claims (keyless go) but nothing major. Sucked gas and ate rotors as expected. Fast forward to 2020, I purchased my present low mileage R63. In the past 2.5 years owning it, I have kept the mileage down driving it sparingly. These cars are getting old and lots of things need to be replaced. Apart from building the car/engine for the Weistec Supercharger, items that were unrelated and had to be replaced: front shocks (ended up replacing the entire suspension as these parts are being discontinued), AC compressor, Alternator, Air suspension compressor, various coolant hoses, water pump, injectors etc. To keep an R63 in top mechanical running condition -yes - it is going to be a money pit even if you don't daily drive it. Parts are harder and harder to find. I just recently purchased a spare ECU and spare Engine harness as I was told these will no longer be made next year. Regardless, I love my R63 and don't care how much money I have to invest into it to keep it going.

Last edited by rbtmak; 07-23-2022 at 02:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rbtmak:
f360racer (10-10-2022), mcarth (07-24-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mcarth
Folks,

I've tracked down a wonderful R63 that I may be purchasing today as my new daily. It has 220k on it. Silver + black, well optioned minus distronic. Have not seen it yet so not aware of every issue, but I know the airmatic has been swapped and there are very small cosmetic imperfections. Service records appear to be great. The question is, should I get it? Yes it's wildly cool, but I hear parts are getting harder to track down these days. It's also a special car, and I already have a Magno 507 sedan that gives me enough grief trying to keep perfect. Is this car a money pit? Will it be trouble? I worry about rust as well, living in a colder climate. At least for this year, it would be parked outside 100% of the time. Just want to know how practical it is, and if I can daily it long term without killing it.

Please give me your thoughts.
@mcarth Update? How are you making out with the R63?
Old 08-17-2022, 09:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by chassis
@mcarth Update? How are you making out with the R63?
Owner had to delay our meet up. Hard guy to get ahold of. It appears to be loaded with every feature minus Distronic. If the body is in good condition, I will be purchasing. I figure if repairs end up getting scary, I’ll be able to get back what I paid on Bring a Trailer (though I am typically against shipping out rare AMG’s in Canada to the US). Will be posting lots if I’m able to seal the deal!
chassis (08-17-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 07:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Originally Posted by mcarth
Owner had to delay our meet up. Hard guy to get ahold of. It appears to be loaded with every feature minus Distronic. If the body is in good condition, I will be purchasing. I figure if repairs end up getting scary, I’ll be able to get back what I paid on Bring a Trailer (though I am typically against shipping out rare AMG’s in Canada to the US). Will be posting lots if I’m able to seal the deal!
Just saw this.

Yes, you can daily drive it. I put on about 3000-4000 miles per year and use it as my "trip" car.

Yew, it will suck fuel (although adding a tune gets me about 2 more mpg's on the highway). I have also replaced parts: AC compressor, front shocks (recently with Arnott) and some minor things. Tranny will need the conductor plate changed out (about $700 at my long time independent). Battery was a pain due to location, so I did main battery and extra emergency battery (in case main battery dies). It is a heavy car so tires don't last as long as they should, but that is pretty minor. Otherwise, not really been too bad on repairs.

As a daily or semi-daily, though it is a great car to drive. Super comfortable seats, plenty of cargo area (3rd row usually stored) and rear seats have a ton of legroom. Love the rear AC, always ice cold. And I love the rear vent windows which help cool the car down quickly!!

So enjoy your R63 as a daily!!

Regards,
Jerry
chassis (10-11-2022)