S/CL-Class (W140) Coupe 1994-1999: S500 Coupe, S600 Coupe, CL500 Coupe, CL600 Coupe

1997 CL420 Cranks, No Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 300E-24V
1997 CL420 Cranks, No Start

Hello, I am looking for some further insight in to my C140 coupe with a no start condition. The car is a 1997 CL420.

The car was off the road for ten years before I found it and purchased it so some issues are to be expected but i would like to make some headway all the same. I am not too familiar with the set up in the car which I believe is an M119 but I am a fairly competent mechanic with quite a lot of equipment so I should hopefully be able to get somewhere.

To start with, the car cranks over well when the battery is fully charged. I have been doing most of the cranking with it jumped as well to maintain voltage. I initially expected a dead fuel pump/blocked filter so I replaced these as a precaution anyway but to no avail. Made no difference to the non starting condition.

Upon turning the key, fuel priming cannot be heard, even with a new pump on. This lead me to bridge the relay in the boot and get fuel to the rail which i did with success, checking the valve at the fuel rail to confirm but still no start. I removed the spark plugs to confirm they were dry so I'm presuming the injectors are not getting the signal to spray or they aren't working which i think is quite unlikely as its all 8 in one.

I then proceeded to replace the crank sensor in hope that this would maybe trigger firing although I am not to sure which component actually initiates this. Again to no avail, still no start condition.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.