S/CL-Class (W140) Coupe 1994-1999: S500 Coupe, S600 Coupe, CL500 Coupe, CL600 Coupe

Interested in pro and con info on '97-'99 cl600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested in pro and con info on '97-'99 cl600

I am in the market to find a good value in an older (I guess, since all I'm seeing posts about are the newest possible/dealer doesn't even know what they look like models) S600 (coupe) - cl600. I would appreciate feedback with respect to what models should be avoided, problems that run through the various year models, other little insights. I want to keep to a budget of around $27000, I think. Are these high maintenance rides once they get to a certain milage number?
Old 01-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi Gregg, Welcome!

I've found that my CL600 is more pricey to maintain / repair than the CL500 I had. The options for doing those services are alot less too, so at least in my area the MB Dealer is the best option. It seems like anytime that little check engine light comes on it's approx. a $1K to fix. I had the door vacuum go out on my drivers side that effected my windows auto adjustment on closing the door and the closing mechanism itself. To fix all that with parts and labor was about $2,500.

Just had the 50K mile service done along with some small repairs which was another grand.

If I didn't just love this damn car so much it would be better for the pocket book. But, when I bought it about a year ago I was well aware of the costs to do these things so their not a surprise. Probably my annual costs averaged on a monthly basis run $400.

Hope that helps. If you can swing the maint. costs then IMO there is no finer car!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS63 AMG
We have a 1998 S600 sedan and a S500 coupe in the family. The S600 Sedan is driven by my wife and it has been a great car thus far. I had the 50K service done last year and it was around $1,500. Rotors and Pads were also fairly expensive, but it is to be expected for a car that cost over $100K new. Other than that, we had a valve cover oil leak and Parktronic sensor replaced under warranty. The car now has 54,000 miles.

My daughter drives the S500 coupe and the car now has 72,000 miles. It has been trouble free until recently. The car would hesitate at red lights and turn off. The dealer replaced the 02 sensors and the car is back to new. We also had to replace the turn signal stalk due to the infamous "blinking dash light" syndrome.

Both cars are phenomenal. To be honest, it is hard to tell the difference in power between the 389 hp and 315hp unless you are a full throttle or in the higher gear ranges. The S600 gets significantly less gas mileage than the S500. The 600 makes 11-13 mpg in the city while the S500 makes around 15-17 mpg (no wonder these cars had a huge gas guzzlers tax). Another thing to consider is that the S600 has far more sophisticated electrical and suspension components than the S500. They make look the same cosmetically but there is a real reason why the 600 is $20-30K more expensive new than its 500 counterpart. More expensive machinery= more expensive maintenance.

Both cars are attention getters, but I think more attention is drawn to the Coupe than the sedan just because they are so rare (also because the W140 sedan looks just like a S320.. ).

Goodluck with the potential purchase! Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Last edited by leloz; 01-17-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:22 PM

1999 CL500; 1992 500E:1991 560SEC
Hi

I spent alot of time researching the 99 CL600. I was in the market for one about 2 years ago. I could alsmost taste one. I looked at quite a few, drove them including one grey market ride from Canada that was perfect. I talked with private mechanics, Benz dealer techs, and several salesman. They all commented on the complexity of the 600 vs the 500(V8) and the difference in maintenance costs. I didn't notice that much difference in the performance and handling between the two either.

I ultimately decided that the V8 was a better choice for me, esp since it was going to be my "...Sunday go to meeting car..."., not my everday ride. I purchased an exceptionally clean fully optioned 99 CL500 from a Benz dealer in Oregon and shipped it to Florida. I have had the car since last October (2003) and have had not a problem with itexcept to replace some dash backlite bulbs. I bought a certified car with the max Benz Starmark warranty(3yrs). I still like the CL600, but I run a ship and don't get home often, and when I do I want my car to be turn key....and it has. So I'm happy the people I talked to were fortunately honest enough to tell me what they knew and I think I made a good decision. Let me know what you decide and good luck with whatever you choose.