Named my S 550 Coupe the ............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 AM
fmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S 550 Coupe 4 Matic
Named my S 550 Coupe the ............

I know this is my first post. But my 2015 S 550 vibrates like a *****.

The very first car I ever purchased was a 190E 2.6. I've had: 320 CE, 320 SL, S 430, SL 500, S 55, SL 55, S 550, GL 450 and this S 550 Coupe. Last year I bought an CLS 550 for my son.

I've had it since May 2015, 42,000 mi and it is on its fourth set of tires (all Goodyears). I have had to replace the tires as they get flats due to excessive inside wear. Service has performed a front alignment after the first flat, a front and rear alignment after the second flat and a front alignment after the third flat. This last set of tires I replaced before I got a flat and a 1 ft section of steel cord was exposed along the inside. Tires last about 10,000 miles.

I put on a brand new set of tires last wed. 2/25 and had my service B on fri. and once again complained of a vibration. Well they "straightened out" my bent rims and said "the tech drove it and there's no vibration." Well, 5 minutes after I left and got up to speed it vibrated again. Needless to say I am mad as hell. (I live in the country an hour away from the dealership and had to return home.)

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am still very livid and will dump this car. No excuse for a flagship model to drive like a GD Yugo at speed.

After 11, perhaps this will be my last. Funny, my Ferrari has never had a problem and neither did my Vanquish.

I recorded a video of the vibration, which generates quite a reaction from those who see it.

Very very angry.

Last edited by fmc; 02-01-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:22 PM
fmc

2015 S 550 Coupe 4 Matic
Video: 2 day old tires, fresh from service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmsg...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by fmc; 02-01-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
There should be 0 vibrations unless the car sat for an extended period and there are flat spots in the tires, which may or may not smooth out depending upon how long the car sat.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:10 AM

2015 S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by fmc
I know this is my first post. But my 2015 S 550 vibrates like a *****.

The very first car I ever purchased was a 190E 2.6. I've had: 320 CE, 320 SL, S 430, SL 500, S 55, SL 55, S 550, GL 450 and this S 550 Coupe. Last year I bought an CLS 550 for my son.

I've had it since May 2015, 42,000 mi and it is on its fourth set of tires (all Goodyears). I have had to replace the tires as they get flats due to excessive inside wear. Service has performed a front alignment after the first flat, a front and rear alignment after the second flat and a front alignment after the third flat. This last set of tires I replaced before I got a flat and a 1 ft section of steel cord was exposed along the inside. Tires last about 10,000 miles.

I put on a brand new set of tires last wed. 2/25 and had my service B on fri. and once again complained of a vibration. Well they "straightened out" my bent rims and said "the tech drove it and there's no vibration." Well, 5 minutes after I left and got up to speed it vibrated again. Needless to say I am mad as hell. (I live in the country an hour away from the dealership and had to return home.)

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am still very livid and will dump this car. No excuse for a flagship model to drive like a GD Yugo at speed.

After 11, perhaps this will be my last. Funny, my Ferrari has never had a problem and neither did my Vanquish.

I recorded a video of the vibration, which generates quite a reaction from those who see it.

Very very angry.
You need to escalate this to head office. I have 18,000 miles on the same car with lots of tread left and zero vibration.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:56 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
The bent rims might very well be your issue.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:51 PM
fmc

2015 S 550 Coupe 4 Matic
Originally Posted by ABWAP
You need to escalate this to head office. I have 18,000 miles on the same car with lots of tread left and zero vibration.

No thanks. They need to buy back this lemon, but I'm not that kind of person. And frankly, I'm done and don't want another. I just dumped it today.

They did bend the rims. All was well with no vibrations at first..... until 3000 miles. Now again it begins to vibrate at 82 mph and becomes unbearable at 90. Wheels once again wearing on the inside. Too much negative camber. I suspect it's dialed in so as to allow such a large/portly car to keep its footprint. Seems like you can't drive these cars at speed without wearing the insides off your tires. The local service guy's bs was it was tire damage (on all 4 sets!!! LOL). I called his bs on that and phoned a different dealer who said it was the soft unidirectional run flats. OK. I've had unis on my Ferrari, 911 and Vanquish. Only one service guy in California was honest and said they dialed in the neg camber and that very few people had as many miles on it as I did.

Regardless, inexcusable for a flagship car to vibrate at speed!!! I mean it's not some multi colored pieced together '82 Camaro with half the front spoiler missing......

I got rid of that car today. Bought a Panamera Turbo- very fast, and very rock steady- what MBs of the previous decade and earlier drove like. When the salesperson went in the back, my son asked "did you know you were doing 105 during the test ride?" Oh, and for the record zero vibrations up to 152.

When they looked up trade in value they had no comps. The closest one had 19,000 miles. I guess these cars weren't meant to be driven extensively or at speed.

Very disappointed.

And you know what's really telling: It was my wife told me to go get a new car. (Yes, not a typo) "Poor engineering" she tells people.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:12 PM
fmc

2015 S 550 Coupe 4 Matic
Originally Posted by ABWAP

No thanks. They need to buy back this lemon but I'm not that kind of person. I just dumped it today.

They did bend the rims. Drove fine for a few weeks, but after 3000 miles or so the vibrations came back at around 82 mph. Becomes unbearable at 90. Just like the previous 4 sets of tires. You can already see the wear along the inside, yet again. They just have too much neg camber dialed in- I suspect to allow such a big car to keep its footstep. (Confirmed by a service guy in California.)

The bottom line is that a flagship car should not vibrate at speed. After all it's not an '82 Camaro with different colored panels and half the front spoiler lip missing.

When I traded the car in they had no comps with my mileage. The closest was 19,000. I guess these cars were not meant to be driven hard or often.

Regardless. I bought a Panamera Turbo today. Rock steady. What MBs of the previous decade and before used to be. When the salesperson left, my son asked "Did you know you were doing 105 (on the test drive)?" Rock steady, no vibrations up to 152.

When your wife tells you to go buy a new car that says a lot........ (Yes not a typo). "Poor engineering" is what she tells people.........
Old 04-17-2017, 07:15 AM

640i Gran Coupé
OP, sorry to hear of your problems. I've owned cars with vibration problems, and we replaced wheels, tires, etc. and it just doesn't get better. Some cars, I suppose, just have issues. Agreed though that it shouldn't happen, and you should be treated better, especially when spending over $100K.

I've owned a Panamera, and they are great cars. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it after a year's ownership.

I am still in the market for a S550 though... used. I will avoid any white ones.

Do you mind if I ask how much they allowed on yours? This will help me decide what a fair price is when I shop for one at retail.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:28 AM
fmc

2015 S 550 Coupe 4 Matic
Originally Posted by beemer guy
OP, sorry to hear of your problems. I've owned cars with vibration problems, and we replaced wheels, tires, etc. and it just doesn't get better. Some cars, I suppose, just have issues. Agreed though that it shouldn't happen, and you should be treated better, especially when spending over $100K.

I've owned a Panamera, and they are great cars. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it after a year's ownership.

I am still in the market for a S550 though... used. I will avoid any white ones.

Do you mind if I ask how much they allowed on yours? This will help me decide what a fair price is when I shop for one at retail.

Thanks. Yesterday was bittersweet as it was the first day in 26 years I have not had a Mercedes in my garage.

They really had no comps on my car as it had 49,000 miles on it.....the closest mileage they could find was 19,000. I got $63K. (IIRC sticker was in the $120s.)
Old 06-28-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
What wheel size did that car have? Thank you.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:49 PM
fmc

2015 S 550 Coupe 4 Matic
They were 20" wheels. Goodyear run flats.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 G55 AMG, 08 CL65 RennTech
Damn they gave you 63k, seems low
Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by romebe
Damn they gave you 63k, seems low
Not extremely low. For a S550 with 49k miles and the issues that OP had, $63k is close enough IMO.