Many thanks to johndog1957

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
2019 s-class coupe 2018 GLE 350 SUV2017 S-class cabriolet
Many thanks to johndog1957

Johndog,
Thanks for the prompt reply, especially on a holiday. Hope you had a great and patriotic 4th of July.
Question: As this is a preliminary DOG, have you any information as to when the final version will be available?
It is stated that the "launch date is summer2018". Well it is summer here in Alabama.
I do plan on ordering a coupe as soon as they are available, so would appreciate updates as they become available.
FYI the PDF files printed just fine.
Thanks again for your information and time consuming efforts.
Ron
Old 07-05-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 S560 Cabriolet
You are welcome, Ron... I have never seen a DOG that did NOT say "Preliminary; subject to change." I assume that keeps dealers and customers from asserting that any DOG is ever set in stone. It appears that the key is to look at the revision date which appears in the first or second page each time. It is my understanding that the "order bank" (is that a correct term?) for a specific model opens up for all dealers in the USA at the same time, so you should stay in touch with your primary dealer on status. I am not sure even the dealers know when ordering will open for a specific car. They just get a message from MBUSA and that becomes a topic at the morning sales meetings.

I also perceive that there are very few dealers or sales people who are going to read every word of the C217 DOG as you have probably already done. You will know more about ordering that car than they will, and it will fall to you to make sure that all the ordering codes are correct. That's why, once you place your order, you must get a printout of the order. Even then, it is possible for someone to go in and CHANGE your order prior to a "no change" date, so that's why you need another printout of the order just before the no-change date. That happened to me one a few years back; my factory order got significantly changed without my knowledge and a different color and interior was delivered. I suspected at the time that they had a better customer who wanted that car in a short time, so they gambled that I would reject the car as delivered (which I did) and they could sell it to their better customer.

Or maybe I am just imagining things!

Last edited by johndog1957; 07-05-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 PM

Johndog1957,
Again many thanks for your insight about the ordering process. You are absolutely correct reference dealer ordering information. I stay in constant contact with my dealer about the MY 2019 S-class coupe and they claim to know no more than me.
They claim to be checking with Atlanta but the reply is always the same "summer 2019". So should you hear anything different I would appreciate you passing on the information.
As for the DOG, you are correct again, in that I studied every page and I normally do know more about the car than the salesperson. Example: when I purchased my S-Cabriolet I asked the salesperson "what is the break-in procedure"? His response was "there is none-just open it up as much as you want". Very depressing!
So John, you are a veritable encyclopedia of Mercedes information and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Ron
The following users liked this post:
johndog1957 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Correction to previous post.
In the first sentence of the second paragraph I stated "summer 2019".
I intended to say "summer 2018". My bad!!!
Ron
The following users liked this post:
johndog1957 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by johndog1957
Even then, it is possible for someone to go in and CHANGE your order prior to a "no change" date, so that's why you need another printout of the order just before the no-change date.
This happened to me on my 2019 A217 domestic order. Someone changed four items about my car so we had to cancel that and start with a new order using an order slot from another dealership. I took that opportunity (and a further $2,000 discount) to change it to European delivery.