Glove compartment door rattle - can't fix, need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 06:13 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
Glove compartment door rattle - can't fix, need help.

To keep it simple: 2016 S coupe. Still factory (+CPO) warrantied. The glove compartment door has developed a rattle I cannot fix. It is present even over decently maintained roads and can be reliably silenced by someone pressing over the bottom ridge of the glove compartment door while it's closed.

Using felt or various other objects to wedge the sides of the door and effectively increase the friction of the door while closed has no effect. Same is true for felt on the hinge pieces. Under the bottom portion of the door, I see there is a lip when open, under which several Torx screws can be seen, but I don't think there's a real way to place anything in there to silence this without interfering with the action of the door.

The dealership has looked at this at least twice and cannot help. They partially dismantled it once, and it went away for awhile, but it's back. They are out of ideas.

Seems to me this should be something I should be able to knock out in my garage, but I can't figure out the best way to do so.

Thoughts? It's seriously getting on my nerves.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by exi
The dealership has looked at this at least twice and cannot help. They partially dismantled it once, and it went away for awhile, but it's back. They are out of ideas.
Since this is a repeat complaint have SA speak with shop foreman to approve complete glove compartment replacement under factory warranty. When they dismantled most likely applied lubricant to stress points that ultimately failed.