Battery Location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63 A4 Cabriolet
Battery Location

I have a '17 S63 A4 Cabriolet. Great car and the AMG version makes awesome music -- especially with the top down.

Bought it new and have right at 14,000 miles on the ODO. I traded in a Lamborghini Gallardo for this car, and have zero regrets.

After 4 years with it, I suddenly got curious about the battery location (I expect to replace it I the next 6 months, as 4 1/2 years with so much electrical stuff makes this sensible.)

Have had an SL500 and 3 S Class sedans, Battery location was easy to spot. HOWEVER! I cannot find the battery in the cabriolet. It is NOT in the engine compartment. It is NOT under the trunk, or behind the rear seat back.

SO, where is it and how do I get to it? About all that's left is under a rear seat or under the front passenger's seat.

HELP!
Old 07-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,650 Likes on 2,254 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Here is the starter battery location:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...aab9da7faf.jpg
Here is the auxiliary battery location:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ee6538c3e0.jpg
All image credit goes to forum member: konigstiger
Old 07-20-2021, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63 A4 Cabriolet
Hmmmm

Thanks so much for the information. I've disassembled the entire trunk area and never found the battery.

THEN, I found a supplement with my owner's manual entitled, "S-Klasse Cabriolet." It states, "your vehicle is equipped with a 12V lithium-ion starter battery."

I was furnished with a small battery charger that was in the trunk, and the instructions with it states "if you leave the vehicle parked up for longer than four weeks, the battery may be damaged by exhaustive discharging." Thus the provision of a small trickle charger that plugs into a vehicle socket in the boot.

I've never had to use this trickle charger.

Hopefully, I won't have to replace the Li battery anytime soon. I have four of them in my Airstream travel trailer that I installed in place of lead-acid. These are 100amp batteries and cost $900 each. Of course, they have incredible durability and can be recharged hundreds of times more than a standard lead acid battery.

I've had a CLK, ML, SL and multiple S-Class. My current S63 will probably. become rare, as M-B is discontinuing the Cabriolet. The AMG Cabriolet is pretty unusual. I plan on driving mine for a very long time.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2021, 07:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,650 Likes on 2,254 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by 6Primrose
Thanks so much for the information. I've disassembled the entire trunk area and never found the battery.

THEN, I found a supplement with my owner's manual entitled, "S-Klasse Cabriolet." It states, "your vehicle is equipped with a 12V lithium-ion starter battery."

I was furnished with a small battery charger that was in the trunk, and the instructions with it states "if you leave the vehicle parked up for longer than four weeks, the battery may be damaged by exhaustive discharging." Thus the provision of a small trickle charger that plugs into a vehicle socket in the boot.

I've never had to use this trickle charger.

Hopefully, I won't have to replace the Li battery anytime soon. I have four of them in my Airstream travel trailer that I installed in place of lead-acid. These are 100amp batteries and cost $900 each. Of course, they have incredible durability and can be recharged hundreds of times more than a standard lead acid battery.

I've had a CLK, ML, SL and multiple S-Class. My current S63 will probably. become rare, as M-B is discontinuing the Cabriolet. The AMG Cabriolet is pretty unusual. I plan on driving mine for a very long time.

Thanks!
No worries at all, glad it was helpful. I also want to thank the person that uploaded those images as well.
Yup your decision to keep this gorgeous car makes a lot of sense.
If you do plan on not driving for over two weeks you could also enable the standby mode in the infotainment systems although I can't remember when that feature was first available so your car might not have it.
Either way, enjoy your beautiful ride and that throaty V8.