GTA Android Auto Install and Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 S-550 Cabrio; 2013 SL-550
GTA Android Auto Install and Issues

Hey guys,

As you probably know, the 2017 S-Class Cabriolet is always tough to install things because they move things around from the other S-Class models (e.g. Aux Batt). However, the latest GTA video did a nice enough job of explaining the process on the W222. Just make sure you get the updated video (v2) because they did change the wiring around a bit. It was easier that I thought, but I did use my WIS for some help. The backseat center console runs right up to the front, making it tough to remove the front console out without removing the rear as well, but with with a little wiggling, it does come out without rear console removal. I have pics if you need them.

Now that the unit is running properly, I do have some issues to resolve before it becomes useful for me. For what its worth, I did try reaching out to GTA, but their response was that it was a limitation to Android Auto. I think that was just a nice way to say, "Find your own workarounds, we're too busy to help." (LOL)
  1. Mercedes Control Dial Activates Google on Right Movement - When I use the dial to navigate the screen, it activates Google Voice when I click to the right. Clicking up or back or left works as before to navigate items on the screen, but moving the dial to the right does not. It prevents me from navigating to the right on the screen for menus. Apparently this is normal operation. GTA thinks AA might adjust this in the future. With older AA there was no split screen, so you didn't need to use that function. When AA first released their new Android auto, even cars with original knob controls could not control AA at all, only touch screen worked (for cars equipped with it), they fixed it over time. I am trying to use CarStream for YouTube, but cannot navigate to the different menus in the app. I tried AAAD with Mirror Plus, but cannot get that to work yet. Anyone have any ideas on a solutions?
  2. Display resolution - I have the 4 and 5 switches turned on, but the display is still stretching the icons on my screen like the resolution is not right. Previous versions of Android Auto looked maybe 10-15% better according to GTA, but they don't know if AA will be adjusting their resolution with software updates. If anyone has insight into this, please post.
  3. AA Always On – My phone is getting really hot after just a few minutes of use (Galaxy Z Flip 4), whether plugged in or wireless to the GTA. I was looking for some way to turn the unit off so it gives my phone a break for just charging. Again, GTA says this is common on Android Auto, suggesting I turn off WIFI on my phone. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-21-2024, 03:40 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2016 Mercedes S63 4matic sedan
Hello. I own a 2016 S63 AMG 4matic with 4zone climate control. I just installed GTA Apple car play/Android auto in my car Saturday. Everything is working great, however like you mentioned I cannot move the Mercedes command knob to the right to get into the maps area of the google maps. It brings up the microphone. It seems I can get into the maps part, if I go into the apps area, then choose maps then the cursor is inside the map area. If that makes sense. I have contacted GTA just to ask. Its Sunday, So I plan a response this week. Everything else works great. I also have the rear factory screens and the Burmester sound system. Still need time to play with it. I only own one car with factory Apple car play/Android auto from the factory, which is a 2020 Nissan Versa sedan. It seems maybe later there may be an update. I do feel this system is the best one on the market for our application.