The Doors of my C217 S Coupe 810 Burmester (Non-3D) get Focal Inside speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2023 | 09:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Shopping for R230 SL550
The Doors of my C217 S Coupe 810 Burmester (Non-3D) get Focal Inside speakers

Carrying on with converting my car over to all Focal drivers. The front doors are not too bad to do but when you reassemble each door, you’ll want to tape the T25 screws onto your driver bit as you slide them in to find the holes in the doors some 4” deep into the openings! PITA! There are several good videos of a shop in Australia doing this work. However, they say 2x T30 bolts - no, it’s 3x T25 bolts. There is no need to pop out the small light fixtures in the panels or the window switches. Leave all that alone. You will unplug the two main harnesses that feed current out to all this this stuff in the door panels, see below.

1) You use a plastic pry tool to carefully lever out the long chrome trim piece. I consider this trim piece now to be “sacrificial” in nature. As such I will probably source a new pair of these for my doors now that the Focals are in place. You WILL break a few of the plastic tabs on it that are secured by metal clips in the door panel itself. You’ll have to decide if it will be secure enough going back on with aid of a few of those clips. Whatever you do, BE SURE to pry out the busted tabs that remained in your doors once you got these trim pieces off. The last thing you want is to have some of those little pieces of broken plastic fall in and rattle inside the door panel.

2) You will need to unscrew 3x T25 bolts that were hidden behind the trim piece.

3) Use your plastic pry tools to begin prying out along the bottom edge of the door panel. It will come loose and swing up a bit. Remove the two blue connectors for door power, both speaker plugs and the door hinge lever cable. For that one you pull on the blue cable then lever it out to clear the back plastic shroud that secures it to the panel. Pop the metal pin up and out of the door handle assembly.

The door panels accept the speakers, not the doors themselves. Focal provides a pair of pass filters. Use the big one for the 4” mid and ignore its “TW” output. Use the thinner one for the small tweeter. You plug these into the speaker and then route the female (jacks) ends through the door insulation to accept the factory speaker leads when you put the panels back on.

Check carefully for any panel clips that stayed in the door. You can see two yellow ones that did so here. Use your metal clip tool to pry them out and clip them back into the panel before you put it back on.

The factory speakers await your attention!

Focals in place with their (mid range gets a low pass, tweeter gets a high) pass filters secured in the door panel. Unlike the center channel, these fit the hole locations perfectly.

I slid that tweeter filter back behind the soundproofing material before putting the panel back on.

Last edited by djcwardog; 08-15-2023 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Solo wing (08-17-2023)