C217 Sunroof sunshade working intermittently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2024 | 06:01 PM

2017 E400 wagon
C217 Sunroof sunshade working intermittently

It took me over a year, but I finally found the immaculate 2015 S550 Coupe that I'd been looking for. The only issue it has so far - and a very minor one at that - is that the sunroof shade works intermittently. There's truly no rhyme or reason to when it works and when it doesn't.

My iCarsoft gives the following message: "Communication With Control Unit " Panoramic Sliding Sunroof " Has a Malfunction. The Message Is Missing."

Has anyone come across this issue? I've searched far and wide online, and the closest I can find is a quick video on Youtube showing people where to make a hole in the headliner to operate the sunshade manually. So, someone else has had the problem; but I haven't found any forum Q&As about it.
Old 09-15-2024 | 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I would have the dealer diagnosis Maybe there is a fault they can clear or at least give the real cause
Old 09-16-2024 | 09:52 AM

E320
Hey sadpanda, The "Communication With Control Unit 'Panoramic Sliding Sunroof' Has a Malfunction" message suggests there might be a wiring issue or a failing control module that's disrupting the communication between the sunshade and the car’s main systems. It could also be a software glitch within the control unit itself or even a problem with the CAN bus network that's responsible for communication between various electronic components. Sometimes, moisture or a loose connector can cause intermittent faults, so it’s worth checking the wiring harness for any signs of corrosion or damage.