S-Class (W116) 1972-1980: 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 350SE, 350 SEL, 450 SE, 450 SEL, 450 SEL 6.9, 300 SD

1980 (W116) LR door panel removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500
1980 (W116) LR door panel removal

Has anyone removed the left rear door panel before? My left rear door doesn't open from the outside anymore. No warning it just stopped opening.
I'm looking for some pics on how I can do this. Or step by step directions.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaguar
Yes i was facing same problem, and at that time my friend helped me, I will ask him how to do that, or will ask him to come here and to help you
Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
450 SEL
Its not hard. But it would be easier for you if you had the MB manual or the Haynes manual. THey have good instructions.

1. Remove the trim from the sides of the window. They have screws in the inside jamb, and then they slide up.
2. Remove the door lock knob.
3. Remove ash tray.
4. Remove screws behind ash tray.
5. Inspect the entire perimeter of the door pannel for any screws. Owners may have added them to keep the pannel in place.
6. CAREFULLY remove the plastic trim from behind the inside door handle.
7. Remove the small screw holding the silver trim plate. Pull trim plate back over the door handle.
8. remove the screw holding the handle at the top of the door handle.
9. Remove the screw holding the bottom of the door handle (its in a hole under the arm rest.
10. Pull the door pannel up (parrallel to the window). the pannel is held to the door with hooks, if you pull out, you break them.
11. Note the power window switch wire is still attached. It is a friction fit, unplug.

Now the fun starts. If you can open this door with hard pull, then your lock is weak. I've fixed mine with some creative bending and new springs. I'll send instructions if you need it.

If it doesn't open at all, inspect the connection between the outside handle and the lock. There is a red connecting rod that connects the outside handle to the lock. This is screwed in, and can come loose or fall out.

Also make sure the outside handle is moving that red rod. If not, your check strap is broken. You need to get the handle out and replace it. Again, not hard, remove the oval plastic cover from above the latch and remove the allen screws, but good to have a manual to work from.