S-Class (W116) 1972-1980: 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 350SE, 350 SEL, 450 SE, 450 SEL, 450 SEL 6.9, 300 SD

1972 280SE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 280SE
1972 280SE

I'm looking at a 1972 280SE with only 34k miles on it. It's been sitting in a garage for 25 years and hasn't moved. I have a few questions:

1) What is it worth? No rust and is in beautiful shape
2) What do I need to do to get it up and running?
3) What will it cost to get it running? I know it's a shot in the dark but a ballpark cost would help me know if I want to pursue it.

Thanks!

Junior01
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm surprised no one has offered anything by way of 2 cents...

Sounds really nice but for sure you'll need to check the gas tank and gas lines, it'll need new gas, new plugs, new fluids, new battery,etc just to see if it cranks over. Was it just parked and left there or was it stored 'correctly'?

It has to be worth 15K-ish fixed up and running (but I'm no expert)...I was looking at buying a similar one with 100K on it for about 10K$ (his asking price) but needed nothing from what I could tell.

Your independent MB shop will have to get you a qoute to get it running right...but I bet it's not cheap....prolly in the thousands of dollars.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 AM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

Originally Posted by Junior01
I'm looking at a 1972 280SE with only 34k miles on it. It's been sitting in a garage for 25 years and hasn't moved. I have a few questions:

1) What is it worth? No rust and is in beautiful shape
3) What will it cost to get it running? I know it's a shot in the dark but a ballpark cost would help me know if I want to pursue it.

Thanks!

Junior01

1) What is it worth? No rust and is in beautiful shape.
Answer: Not running, $800.00 - $1,500.00 this is not a rare car.......

Answer: No answer is possible.

Answer: $300.00 - $68,000.00 USD, it is not running = the drivetrain, suspension, and steering could be scrap metal.

roy@pelicanparts.com

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Awesome! Love the older Benz's. This summer I purchased a 1969 280SL (European spec imported to the US) White on cream, white wall tires and all white hub caps. Only one side view mirror, automatic, no side markers. The paint on those cars puts these new MB's to shame IMO. Jeremy Clarkson said that the paint alone weighs 20 kilograms. Everything original, still has the original spare in trunk, car cover, manuals/booklets, wench for the hardtop, soft top is black in beautiful condition. Heat and A/C works flawlessly. 70K and change original miles. Just runs like a dream. The coolest part? Being a 22 year old driving a style icon, and having the top down makes me feel richer than even an SLS. I drove it today to work in 40 degree temperature, so it really is a year-round automobile.
I've put a little over 2K miles in the last 4 months and it hasn't skipped a beat.
The cons;
Needed to get 1 bushing greased up because it developed a minor squeak as it got colder out. The front and rear chrome bumpers (real, legit chrome btw) needed to be freshened and polished up. And it also needed some windshield wiper fluid. So maintainence wise it needed around $150 worth, not bad for a 44 year old piece of machinery with a Mercedes-Benz logo attached to it. I didn't get Antique Plates as I don't want to be limited as to how much I can drive it. But even so, I only pay like $40 a month. I put 93 octane and it costs me around $45 to fill up the tank. And how much I paid, well let me just say this; I took it to my guy that does all the custom work on my CL AMG and who specializes in antique/classic cars. He told me if I opted to sell it, I can profit at least $25,000 more on top what I paid for it. It was a great investment in a world where new SL's lose $7-10,000 as soon as they drive off the dealership.
The Pagoda roof is so unique and with the top down, I just feel like a rockstar. You never see them, especially where I'm from, let alone a young guy. It commands respect and adulation.
Mods I'm about to do. Since I'm not a geezer, I want to freshen it just a little, but don't want to ruin the prestige. I'm gonna put LEDs for my license plate lights. HIDs for the headlights, red LEDs for the tails and LEDs for the turn signals. The paint is porcelain white, so when LEDs hit it, its going to glow! Very Playboy. Interior wise, I just want to get the OEM all white steering wheel and white shift knob to match it up nicer. Maybe put wider tires on the rear and drop it 3/4 of an " somewhow to make the stance look sleeker.
I know it's not a SE, but they share many of the same technology/features as the SL. With these cars it's not about performance, it's how they make you feel. Good luck, just don't get a money pit.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Pictures please !!...or it didn't happen

Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
Awesome! Love the older Benz's. This summer I purchased a 1969 280SL (European spec imported to the US) White on cream, white wall tires and all white hub caps. Only one side view mirror, automatic, no side markers. The paint on those cars puts these new MB's to shame IMO. Jeremy Clarkson said that the paint alone weighs 20 kilograms. Everything original, still has the original spare in trunk, car cover, manuals/booklets, wench for the hardtop, soft top is black in beautiful condition. Heat and A/C works flawlessly. 70K and change original miles. Just runs like a dream. The coolest part? Being a 22 year old driving a style icon, and having the top down makes me feel richer than even an SLS. I drove it today to work in 40 degree temperature, so it really is a year-round automobile.
I've put a little over 2K miles in the last 4 months and it hasn't skipped a beat.
The cons;
Needed to get 1 bushing greased up because it developed a minor squeak as it got colder out. The front and rear chrome bumpers (real, legit chrome btw) needed to be freshened and polished up. And it also needed some windshield wiper fluid. So maintainence wise it needed around $150 worth, not bad for a 44 year old piece of machinery with a Mercedes-Benz logo attached to it. I didn't get Antique Plates as I don't want to be limited as to how much I can drive it. But even so, I only pay like $40 a month. I put 93 octane and it costs me around $45 to fill up the tank. And how much I paid, well let me just say this; I took it to my guy that does all the custom work on my CL AMG and who specializes in antique/classic cars. He told me if I opted to sell it, I can profit at least $25,000 more on top what I paid for it. It was a great investment in a world where new SL's lose $7-10,000 as soon as they drive off the dealership.
The Pagoda roof is so unique and with the top down, I just feel like a rockstar. You never see them, especially where I'm from, let alone a young guy. It commands respect and adulation.
Mods I'm about to do. Since I'm not a geezer, I want to freshen it just a little, but don't want to ruin the prestige. I'm gonna put LEDs for my license plate lights. HIDs for the headlights, red LEDs for the tails and LEDs for the turn signals. The paint is porcelain white, so when LEDs hit it, its going to glow! Very Playboy. Interior wise, I just want to get the OEM all white steering wheel and white shift knob to match it up nicer. Maybe put wider tires on the rear and drop it 3/4 of an " somewhow to make the stance look sleeker.
I know it's not a SE, but they share many of the same technology/features as the SL. With these cars it's not about performance, it's how they make you feel. Good luck, just don't get a money pit.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Mercedes Benz 300 SL
1969 289 SE

Hello,
I have a 1969 Mercedes Benz 280SE. It is in great shape with 55,800 actual. miles on it. I am looking for a new hubcap in the blue paint it came with in the center.
The driver's seat is in need of attention. New skin on the seat, and new springs in the seat cushion so I can drive sitting upright and not looking through the steering wheel.
I also need the wood trim piece that surrounds the inside bottom of the windshield on the dashboard.Lastly, I am looking for the owner's manual. Any suggestions and/or help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Phil
Old 11-22-2013, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Those are absolutely timeless cars - post some pics people!