S-Class (W116) 1972-1980: 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 350SE, 350 SEL, 450 SE, 450 SEL, 450 SEL 6.9, 300 SD

1972 280SE need some input!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS500
1972 280SE need some input!

Hey, i just bought a 1972 280SE 4.5 and it has a few things that I am hoping to be able to correct on it. I figured I would post here first to see if anybody else has had similar issues.

1. The electric fuel pump in the rear of the car is leaking a pretty substantial amount and it appears to be leaking from around the electrical connection. I can't find any replacement pumps online that are new and I can't find any rebuild kits to serviced the pump I currently have. If i can't find a way to fix the one I have i was wondering if there is another pump that i can make be acceptable to this car.

2. I believe I have the answer to this already but figured I'd ask anyway. The power steering pump is over flowing when the car is not running, but sucking nearly dry with lots of bubbles when it is. It seems from reading online that bleeding the steering box is the likely fix to this issue.

3. I drove the car home with no problems and it ran fairly smooth. Yesterday I started the car and turned it around, still ran fine. Restarted it again to diagnose what the power steering pump was doing, it's running very poorly. I looked around the car and noticed that the exhaust was uneven, went to the engine bay and noticed that the exhaust manifolds on the left side of the engine are cold. I believe that i'm getting no fuel from the whole left side fuel injectors. I can't seem to find a fuse diagram that would suggest that each fuel rail is on their own fuse. I have never seen this before, but it's strange that all 4 of the left side would shut down while the other side is seemingly unaffected.

Any input helps, I am hoping to be able to get this car good and dependable so that I can either flip it for a profit or have it to drive on occasion.