S-Class (W116) 1972-1980: 280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 350SE, 350 SEL, 450 SE, 450 SEL, 450 SEL 6.9, 300 SD

1977 450SEL 6.9 question for newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 audi 100 quattro
1977 450SEL 6.9 question for newbie

Hello everyone, I have a chance to purchase a 77' 450SEL 6.9 that is for sale locally. I've owned and serviced just about every 5 cyl Audi you can think of, I'm no stranger to German vehicles or turning wrenches.

Just a few questions:

Are there any specific rust areas to pay special attention to?

Looks like 5? hydraulic accumulators, they fail regularly on Audi's I would imagine the same is true no matter what the make. Are they still available?

Its a low mileage car that has been sitting for several years and looks like it would be worth getting back into shape but after some research it looks to be a pretty rare model and I would imagine parts are difficult to find and most likely expensive.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

-Jesse
Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
I never purchased a 6.9, but wanted one in the past. All your assumptions are reasonable based on what I learned. The parts unique to the 6.9 can be quite pricey. There is a dedicated owners club for this car and other m100 powered Mercedes. Google up "m100 international owners" to find their website. There is a forum there as well - likely you will get a better feel for costs and potential problem areas over there. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Originally Posted by ub2693v
Hello everyone, I have a chance to purchase a 77' 450SEL 6.9 that is for sale locally. I've owned and serviced just about every 5 cyl Audi you can think of, I'm no stranger to German vehicles or turning wrenches.

Just a few questions:

Are there any specific rust areas to pay special attention to?

Looks like 5? hydraulic accumulators, they fail regularly on Audi's I would imagine the same is true no matter what the make. Are they still available?

Its a low mileage car that has been sitting for several years and looks like it would be worth getting back into shape but after some research it looks to be a pretty rare model and I would imagine parts are difficult to find and most likely expensive.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

-Jesse
You've pretty much answered your own questions. Yes the parts are rare and expensive, but the suspension parts can be rebuilt very successfully for much cheaper than the originals, which are no longer available new from Benz for the most part. The motor is bulletproof, failure is unheard of. Transmission is a weak spot due to the big torque of the motor. Look for a quality rebuild that has been done. Sun Valley in CA do excellent work in this regard. These cars are not for the faint of heart in the maintenance dept. If you are taking it to a shop you will get your wallet vacuumed big time, plus the shop probably will not have a clue anyway. Best to join w116.org. By far the best 116 resource on the planet. This board is pretty much dead for vintage Benzes, much less 116's.

Last edited by dikdaan; 02-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.