S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Please Help! Identifying Amg 560 Sec!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 500SL / 1989 560 SEC
Exclamation Please Help! Identifying Amg 560 Sec!

I'm in the middle of a battle with my local insurance company about the value of my 560 SEC AMG. They think it's a knock off and not authentic.

Basically, it's an 86 560 SEC Euro with the AMG Package. No AMG engine. Just regular 560 SEC.

I would really like to know what is the difference between the AMG package and the regular 560 SEC's besides the obvious following;

17 inch AMG 2 piece wheels. Mine are apparently made in Japan.
Full AMG body kit minus the front spoiler.
AMG tipped exhaust.
AMG Steering wheel.
AMG rear spoiler.
AMG badging.
It also has some lil computer screen on the dash with button on the the console behind the shift knob.

What is an option that was availabe on the AMG package that would be rather difficult to build as a knock off. I need to prove mine was authentic.

Please help and thanx. I can post pics upon request.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:15 AM

Jeez, you're still trying to resolve this? Wasn't this about a year ago? There is nothing that you could show them to prove it is an "authentic" AMG other than AMG paperwork. The AMG items you list could be ordered and installed at any Mercedes garage or dealership. The trip computer was an expensive and rare option, but it was a factory Mercedes option. In short, why would your car be worth more if the AMG factory installed these components on your car or a Mercedes dealership? The car should be worth a little more than a plain-jane 560SEC but these are 'only' cosmetic upgrades on an insurance adjuster's clipboard. Sorry to rain on your quest for more money but its gonna be tough. How many miles are on the car now and what are they offering you?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 AM

1990 500SL / 1989 560 SEC
Originally Posted by EuroCoupe
Jeez, you're still trying to resolve this? Wasn't this about a year ago? There is nothing that you could show them to prove it is an "authentic" AMG other than AMG paperwork. The AMG items you list could be ordered and installed at any Mercedes garage or dealership. The trip computer was an expensive and rare option, but it was a factory Mercedes option. In short, why would your car be worth more if the AMG factory installed these components on your car or a Mercedes dealership? The car should be worth a little more than a plain-jane 560SEC but these are 'only' cosmetic upgrades on an insurance adjuster's clipboard. Sorry to rain on your quest for more money but its gonna be tough. How many miles are on the car now and what are they offering you?

Yeah, it's been quite a battle. The car has 160,000 KMS. 100,000Miles.

They have offered me $9500CDN = $7500US.

I can't even buy a good shape US spec 560 SEC with the same mileage for that much.

basically, if I prove that their all manufacturer installments, than I get more money. There are a few knockoffs driving around that look like crap and those are for sale and even worth more than mine.

There are 2 other AMG ext package cars in the area and they are bother selling for well over $20,000CDN = $16,000US.

There are DEALERS selling US spec 560 SEC of the same year with more mileage ofr about $15,000US.

Se what I mean? Only the biggest pieces of ****s are selling for the price insurance is offering me. I saw an 86 560 SEC rust bucket with 230,000KMS/144,000M selling for the same price as what the yare offering me. I'm talking big piece oh **** with water leaks and all.

I want to get the most money for my car, but it's tough. My car is worth around $17,000CDN = $13,500US. Cars are expensive in BC as opposed to other Provinces and some US States.