S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

560SEL- not driven for 5 years- smoke on 1st startup expected?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 Mercedes 300SEL, 1991 Lexus LS400, 1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate, 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville
560SEL- not driven for 5 years- smoke on 1st startup expected?

I found a 560SEL on a classified site with around 110K I would like to purchase. It is a 1-owner car (current owner is a dealer that bought to resell). The car is stated to run very well- quiet engine and good transmission shifts. Here are the noted problems- the power seats do not operate- I am guessing it could just be a bad fuse, but I guess it could be a bad switch or motor too. Also- the car has set in a garage, undriven for a few years, because the owners (wealthy) bought a new Mercedes and this one was really no longer needed. The current owner said that when the car was first started, it did smoke some from the exhaust, but after a few miles, it stopped and has not noticed it since- or not any that he noticed. Can anyone say I am correct in assuming that this could be normal for a car that has set for 4-5 years without being started? He said temperature was in normal range, as is the oil pressure. It does have a power steering hose leak- easy fix? The car is 100+% rust free, always a southern car. Good original paint and good original interior, aside from some dash panel cracks. The A/C is also on the fritz as is one of the windows. He said the air suspension was fine. Carfax also checks out OK on this car. The car has some cosmetic flaws- small dent on one fender, small place on a bumper, broken front parking lamp lens and missing hood ornament.

My main concern is the engine smoking when it was 1st started- if someone can confirm to me that this could be expected for a car that has set for 5 years?

If something happens this car does not pan out, I am still waiting to hear from the owner of the 90' 300TE wagon- which is the same price, but has a LOT more miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 500 SEL
At first some smoke can be expected. If it continues to smoke, however, I’d be concerned. When were the chain guides and t chain changed? Does it have service records? What does your mechanic say? All of the problems you’ve noticed care an easy fix but I’d have a mechanic you trust check the car none the less. It could be a great opportunity.