S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Brake pads Organic, Semi Metallic, Tektar, Jurid, HELP ME PLEASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380 SEL 1982
Brake pads Organic, Semi Metallic, Tektar, Jurid, HELP ME PLEASE

What type of brake pads came originally on a 1982 126 sedan? What type of brake pads will a MB dealer sell you?

I see Partsbin has several available;

Tektar (OEM)
Jurid (OEM)
Mercedes Star Branded (Tektar or Jurid)

And they have Bendix Organic and Semi Metallic.

Other parts houses also carry NAO and semi-metallic pads for this application.

Basically, my problem is this. I like to drive like I am driving a limousine. When I slow down to a complete stop, I decelerate very slowly and ease off the pedal slightly before coming to a stop to avoid the slight jerkiness most people exhibit when stopping. When I do this in my MBZ, I get a grindy feel/noise (from the front) between 1 and 0 mile an hour.

I have new Wagner Thermoquiet semi metallic pads up front and new Brembo OEM replacement rotors, all with no more than 500 miles on them. I have tried to properly bed them in. Is this grindiness because the Wagner pads are too hard? The Wagner pads get great reviews but I wonder if I made a poor choice for my MBZ.

I would like to know if changing the pads out to Organic or other pads will help cure this, or if it is just part of the way the car is. I know it isn't a Cadillac, but I want my MBZ to be silky smooth. I could care less about pad life, rotor life, or brake dust; though if two pads performed the same and one dusted less I would prefer the lesser dusting pad.