S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Smell Of Exhaust At Highway Speeds.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 MB 300SE
Smell Of Exhaust At Highway Speeds.

hi everyone! just signed up.

this problem has been going on for atleast a year and a half now. im still a bit of a novice when it comes to fixing problems so....

first off some one rear ends my car at 35 mph. the car now has a slightly bent chassis and a new exhaust. mechanic wants to rust proof the bottom of the car to make sure it doesnt rust. does too good a job, cause now at highway speeds, the smell of exhaust fumes is hard to ignore..giving some of my passengers nausea. mechanic says the coating of anti-rust on the silencer heats up as the speeds go up and the smell of burnt coating comes in to the cabin. he will have burnt it off he says. i dont know if hes right about this. what do you guys think?
mechanic says it gonna take three days(wtf!) to get it off.

i once did a high speed run to see if the smell increases... after 10 secs at 180kmph smoke comes from below the glove box..(i'll post a pic with noted area circled) a/c was turned off at the time, and when i slowed down and stopped... the smoke stopped coming from the area... and everything was normal in the car. any idea what that smoke was about? it didnt smell like electrical smoke or burnt plastic like when wires get fried. it was like exhaust smoke i think. is there some chance of a leak at the point where theexhaust and engine meet?

ur help will be waaaaaay appreciated. sorry about the typos i broke my right hand's fingers when my friend flipped his four wheel drive while offroading

Last edited by wowmb; 06-12-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:24 AM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
umm.. anybody has any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes all the time
You have an unusual situation and hard to diagnose on the internet. I'm assuming you live where car body rust is a problem. If so the impact could have opened a hole or seem in a rusty floor pan, in which case your mechanic may be right.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:39 AM

1989 300SE, 2002 FORD Crown Vic Police Interceptor
35 mph is a pretty hard hit. Most likely your exhaust has a break or a gap has opened up. Check the exhaust manifold to pipe connections for any misalignment. Also, check the manifold bolts and tighten if necessary.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
thnx for the info ..will have mentioned things checked...

but for now i have to drive 3000 km and use up the brand new oil i had put before going to the mechanic. he will

drain all the now old oil out... and

refit new seals in various places where oil is coming out from.

new gaskets as well.

then he will smooth out the surface over which the oil cap will fit on top of the engine.. apparently very hot oil has scarred the surface so even if i put on a new oil cap it wont do its job beacuse what it is sitting on isnt a smooth suface to begin with.

this should stop oil from coming out and dripping on the red hot silencer pipe at high speed, which may be a cause for the smell .