S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Aux Fan Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
Aux Fan Mod-cooling mod

Well, this weekend i tackled the hot temps under our hood. What i did with some advice of some members was the following:

Went to homedepot and bought:

-24 Feet of guage 12 thing wire.
- U connecter for guage 12

What i was looking for was, when i turn on the car to have the Aux fan go on- since the hot temps here in cali make my ca run at 90-95C all year long.

So I ran a wire the ground wire from the battery to the negativer terminal to the Aux fan. I went all around the engine, i did not want wire crossing over the radiator because i was afraid it would melt it. I cut it with an extra 2 feet, just in case. Then i uncover the fuse box, looked where fuse B was. In this case fuse B was on the bottom left corner. Fuse B engages when you have the ignition key on. It is for the power windows. I put a U connector on one end of the wire, and then put it where the fuse B wire runs to. Hooked it up, closed the fuse box. I ran the wire back to the front of the car. And connected it to the fan - and now the Aux fan turns on when i turn on the fan. So the car runs at 80C all the time...and at about 85 C with the AC full blast ! So now i'm one happy camper!

Last edited by egxpimp; 07-17-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
Originally Posted by egxpimp
Well, this weekend i tackled the hot temps under our hood. What i did with some advice of some members was the following:

Went to homedepot and bought:

-24 Feet of guage 12 thing wire.
- U connecter for guage 12

What i was looking for was, when i turn on the car to have the Aux fan go on- since the hot temps here in cali make my ca run at 90-95C all year long.

So I ran a wire the ground wire from the battery to the negativer terminal to the Aux fan. I went all around the engine, i did not want wire crossing over the radiator because i was afraid it would melt it. I cut it with an extra 2 feet, just in case. Then i uncover the fuse box, looked where fuse B was. In this case fuse B was on the bottom left corner. Fuse B engages when you have the ignition key on. It is for the power windows. I put a U connector on one end of the wire, and then put it where the fuse B wire runs to. Hooked it up, closed the fuse box. I ran the wire back to the front of the car. And connected it to the fan - and now the Aux fan turns on when i turn on the fan. So the car runs at 80C all the time...and at about 85 C with the AC full blast ! So now i'm one happy camper!
so your aux fans run all the time?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Yup! When i have the key in the ignition. It turns on. While i drive, it is on. The car runs a lot cooler and throttle response seems better.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
Originally Posted by egxpimp
Yup! When i have the key in the ignition. It turns on. While i drive, it is on. The car runs a lot cooler and throttle response seems better.
you might want to consider a tropics vfc (viscous fan clutch) instead. the aux fan(s) draw a lot of current. or you could also adjust the bms (bi-metallic strip) on the vfc. its the copper looking thing on the end of the vfc. if you bend the bms out a little (very small amount), that will change when the vfc comes on and for how long it stays on.

there is also a guy here in LA that drills into the vfc and takes out all the oem fluid and replaces it with something else. i have not had any personal experience with this however.

Last edited by schwarzwagen; 08-11-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Banned

F248 F1
I still have the VFan on it. I purchased a new 14'' Aux fan that only draws 12 volts/ 10 amps (fergot) it pushes 2600CFM. So far i'm okay with power levels, i have had it for over a month and no draw backs so far.