S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Relocating Battery to the trunk writeup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
Post Relocating Battery to the trunk writeup

Hey guy’s last weekend I tackle a HUGE job that took forever- RELOCATING THE BATTERY TO THE TRUNK!
First of all, I would like to say relocating the battery to the trunk makes a huge difference in handling!
And the front end feels a lot softer- you also get a lot better traction in the rear.
You can get all these materials at home depot. Relatively cheap
Materials:
-20 Feet of 2 Gauge wire
-Bolt splitter -2 gauge- 1 ½ tick
-Marine terminal connector (2)
-Connector for 2 terminals
-Battery holder (car part store)

You have to disconnect your battery first. Remove all the junk there. Remove your interior: Passenger footwall, passenger seat, rear seat, carpet.
To the left of where the battery was you will see a rubber gasket, just pull that off, and you will be able to see the interior. That’s where I fed the wire. I followed through the channels where it has the others boxed in, so it looks good all the way to the back, passed the gas tank to the trunk. Put the bolt splitter at the end of the wire that going to hook up the old terminal for the positive cable going to the starter. Tuck in the wire under the carpet nice and neat. You should be left over with about 3-4 feet of wire from where the battery is going to go. The battery I place it on the right side of the trunk. So just cut it, where you predict the battery is going to go. The rest of the battery cable use it for your negative terminal. Hook up a Marine terminal connector for the end of the positive cable and one for the negative. For the other side of the negative cable hook up the connector for 2. I used the metal piece, and screw that holds the cover for the air pump. Sand down the paint so you get good conductivity. After that, just place your battery holder in place. Hook up the terminals and WALLAH! Go to your local auto store to make sure your battery is charging. If everything goes good- put everything back together!
Old 09-15-2006, 05:36 PM

280SE W116, 500SEL W126
Thanks
That's something I've wanted to do for a long time, so I may just get round to doing it soon
Old 09-16-2006, 02:13 AM
Banned

F248 F1
I'm glad it will help you out! If you need help with which parts i'm talking about- i'll be more then happy to take pictures!

EG
Old 09-18-2006, 03:53 AM

'86 Benz W126 420 Sec
Originally Posted by egxpimp
First of all, I would like to say relocating the battery to the trunk makes a huge difference in handling!
And the front end feels a lot softer- you also get a lot better traction in the rear.
you make it sound like the battery weighs 400 pounds, Sorry but I think your just imagining that it handles better.

good writeup anyway
Old 09-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

F248 F1
pics