S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

1990 560 sec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 560 sec

Hello,
Im new to this group. I just imported a 1990 560 sec from Japan into Canada. The 560 was originally slated for the North American Market but was shipped off to Japan. Anyways today at the inspection the issue of lights came into play. the front headlights didnt bear the DOT/SAE mark as well as the front turn signals. Back brakes were fine. I had called MB Canada (compliance dept)earlier in the week and they told me the car was US spec but today with the inspector on the line...they didnt recall me ever calling..despite it being the same lady. OHwell.
Can anyone tell me...are the front lights on all 560 sec DOT/SAE or are they E spec with MB doing an engineers report to satisfy transport canada or the US equivilant?
And if they are in fact DOT ..anyone into swapping?
Next issue is the Air bag dash light is on...i think the sticker on the door says something in german about 1999..i would guess the airbag is past its date...do i need a new airbag...or is it just a notice reminding the driver to get it serviced?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...this car is sweet..only 28,000km...im so excited to get out there driving

Many thanks

Kevin..aka baka
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
1990 560 sec

Kevin
Is the air bag light on constantly, as in as soon as you start the car, or only after moving?
The airbag light might be caused by some corosion or dirt on the contact ring under the airbag/steering wheel.
Bruce
BENZITCH
PS I don't think I have ever heard of a need to refresh the airbag, unless it was used.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:14 AM

560 cont

the airbag light is on 100%...I'll suggest your remedy

many thanks!

Baka
Old 09-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Question Your new joy

Just wanted to ask for pics as soon as you get an opportunity. Sorry that I can not assist with your question....
Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by bakasan39
Hello,
Im new to this group. I just imported a 1990 560 sec from Japan into Canada. The 560 was originally slated for the North American Market but was shipped off to Japan. Anyways today at the inspection the issue of lights came into play. the front headlights didnt bear the DOT/SAE mark as well as the front turn signals. Back brakes were fine. I had called MB Canada (compliance dept)earlier in the week and they told me the car was US spec but today with the inspector on the line...they didnt recall me ever calling..despite it being the same lady. OHwell.
Can anyone tell me...are the front lights on all 560 sec DOT/SAE or are they E spec with MB doing an engineers report to satisfy transport canada or the US equivilant?
And if they are in fact DOT ..anyone into swapping?
Next issue is the Air bag dash light is on...i think the sticker on the door says something in german about 1999..i would guess the airbag is past its date...do i need a new airbag...or is it just a notice reminding the driver to get it serviced?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...this car is sweet..only 28,000km...im so excited to get out there driving

Many thanks

Kevin..aka baka
Kevin,

Your car has Euro (E-code) headlights. Are you stating that you brought it into the states or are they giving you trouble in Canada??? I don't really understand since canda uses euro lights????
Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 PM

E spec

Hello

Yes Euro spec are ok in some provinces and this car being a 1990 model makes it exempt from many federal issues. But in BC all out of Province vehicles must pass an inspection and the DOT issue is on the menu. The answer you get is that if your lights dont bear the DOT mark you must have a compliance letter or an engineers report stating that the lights in question must meet or exceed DOT/SAE standards...the latter being a very costly venture. Its almost laughable as we have no domestic inspections for local cars. So cars held together with tape continue to drive while others with safe cars get bogged down over the Euro spec lights etc which in 99% of the cases are good cars. But of course there are crooked importers and they need to be kept in check.
Thanks for the replies
Still fighting the Air bag warning light. diagnostics not taliking to my car..aparently the Japanese system might be different.
Still trying..hopefully we can fix it .

kevin