S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Carbon Monoxide Leakage into Cabin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W140 W126 W220
Unhappy Carbon Monoxide Leakage into Cabin?

Recently, I have been having problems with my 1989 560 SEL. There has been constant mild oil leakage from the valve seals of the car for the past month which causes a white emission from the exhaust after brief stops at red lights.

Today for some odd reason, I was exiting the freeway and the engine began to smoke very similar color white smoke which began to enter the cabin as well. After pulling over and popping the hood. I realized the smoke seems to be coming from under the engine near the cars insolation. (see picture - Note: Found pic online) I let the car rest for about half an hour while I ate lunch.

After lunch, I popped the hood and there appeared to be vaporized heat coming from the same area of the engine. On the way home there was an odd smell coming into the cabin, it didn't smell like burning oil or gasoline and gave me a headache after exiting the car. What could be going on here?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Monoxide Leakage into Cabin?-w126-engine.jpg  
Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by 1996_S500
Recently, I have been having problems with my 1989 560 SEL. There has been constant mild oil leakage from the valve seals of the car for the past month which causes a white emission from the exhaust after brief stops at red lights.

Today for some odd reason, I was exiting the freeway and the engine began to smoke very similar color white smoke which began to enter the cabin as well. After pulling over and popping the hood. I realized the smoke seems to be coming from under the engine near the cars insolation. (see picture - Note: Found pic online) I let the car rest for about half an hour while I ate lunch.

After lunch, I popped the hood and there appeared to be vaporized heat coming from the same area of the engine. On the way home there was an odd smell coming into the cabin, it didn't smell like burning oil or gasoline and gave me a headache after exiting the car. What could be going on here?

Thanks for your help in advance.
It is normal for cars of this vintage to leak oil from the cam cover seals. When the oil reaches the exhaust manifold area it is burnt off giving a terrible smell. The only remedy is to change the seals. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless so if you can smell the smoke or gas it is not CO.

The area behind the aluminum pan has a black plastic tube which recirculates exhaust gas to be burnt off in the engine (another is located passenger side front of pan) and if this is disconnected the gas would be all over the engine bay. Make sure it is plugged into the aluminum tube located under the pan, just in front of the red area in your photo.

Did you remove the pan to see if there is any other leaks under the pan?