S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

380SE misfire when idling in park and when initially shifting - vacuum leak or ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 380SE, 00 Tundra V8 SR5 4wd, 73 Pontiac Grand Ville, 69 Chevrolet Caprice, 89 Pontiac Safari
380SE misfire when idling in park and when initially shifting - vacuum leak or ?

Hello all. I had a membership here before, but had not been here in awhile and have changed my email, so my other username is history. I was "86560SEL". Anyway, I have posted this about my 85' 380SE on the other MB forums and thought I would get some "freshened" advice here.

380SE running very poorly- vacuum leak?

I had posted here before about the sudden stalling my 380 sometimes does after the engine is fully warmed after I place it in gear or stop at a traffic light. I have been told it could be the idle control valve.... checked that and it is fine. Idle goes up when it is disconnected. I have not yet tried to check for vacuum leaks, as mentioned here and recommended to me by some here. I was told to start the engine and spray brake cleaner around (on cold engine) to check for leaks. I was told by a local MB indy repair shop that it may be a vac leak and how to check it (by spraying the brake cleaner around the cold engine), but I have not yet checked. Is brake cleaner the best thing to use?

Well, to update, strangely, the engine has NOT been stalling, but when I first start it of the mornings, it idles smoothly, until about 3 minutes, then it will start "missing", or after I start to accelerate after it has idled, it will start missing/spluttering. There was one occasion where it was like it was "choking" and putting out gassy smelling smoke (black) from the exhaust. Its like it was getting too much gas. If I hold the accelerator steady when in park, it misses, but upon acceleration, or even in gear at steady acceleration, it smooths out. It will do this now until the engine almost completely warms up, but recently, it is missing more often (even with engine fully warmed), if the engine is idling in park, or when it will first upshift into the next gear- then it will smooth out again.

It did this slightly last winter, but only if the temperature dropped below 40°. During the summer it did not do it, but it was doing the stalling. Now the stalling is gone, but it is running very poorly when the engine is cold if the temperature drops below 60°. It has been getting a little worse every week. I have a feeling it is only going to get worse and worse.

Does it sound like this could also be a vacuum issue causing this as well, or could something else be causing this? I was also thinking possibly plug wires. I have already replaced the spark plugs last summer, when it was only a minor issue. That did not seem to help and whatever is causing the miss when in park, or when the gears first change is getting worse. Also, I on the highway upgrade that I have to drive up every morning when I leave, I have to take the engine up to 3000 rpms to gain speed. It seems like there is a point when it hits 3000 rpms ( I think in 2nd or 3rd gear - I will check), for a moment, its like something is holding it back.... like an A/C compressor has kicked in (but my A/C belt is removed. I go ahead and let it shift into the next gear and it will miss for about 2 seconds, them smooth out again. The car has 268K, so I know its getting worn out, but when it was running smoothly, I had sufficent power and had more confidence in it.... now I am not very confident, even though it has never left me setting stranded. YET. Also, I have a bad thermostat.... that may be causing some of the problems? On the highway, it drops to about 55°-60C (engine) when the outside temperature is below 50°F. However, in town it goes back up slightly and if I let it set and idle in gear (for an extended period- say, 10 minutes) it will go up to 110°C. My auxillary fan is on the fritz (blows fuses), so thats no surprise. But you would think that in the winter (when it was below 50°f that evening), that it would not go near 110°C.

I was also told it could be the temperature sensors faulty and it was telling the engine the wrong temperature, hence the poor running?

Any other suggestions? I do not have a fortune to spend, so I cannot afford to replace this and that to see if that is the problem, only to still have the issues continue. I was told by someone else that it could be the intake gasket??? I am at a crossroads.

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 85380SE; 01-20-2007 at 12:42 AM.