S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Seeking to replace rear air suspension 560SEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 560SEL, 95 600SL, 95/98 CL600
Seeking to replace rear air suspension 560SEL

What are recommended shock/coils front and rear?

I do not want to take this back to OEM. I undestand coil over bilsteins may work better than original.

Thx
Old 01-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL
Air suspension on a w126 Mercedes? I don’t know about over where you are at but here in the USA there is no such thing as an Air Ride suspension unless you are driving a Lincoln.

Your system is a hydraulic system that consist of one pump, two accumulators, a load level valve, and two accumulators. Why on earth would you ever want to part with this very useful feature? The system is VERY easy to work with and VERY easy to bleed. You just need to get familiar with it that’s all.

** Removing the system will require you to remove the pump, and then change the springs and shocks! You sure it’s not going to be easier just to fix what you have? There is nothing like the hydraulic load leveling systems when you have passengers and trunk weight. It’s awesome to load it down and watch it sit right back up! Driving also feels much better when the back end is not sagging due to extra weight. It’s really a good feature.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 560SEL, 95 600SL, 95/98 CL600
Yes, I stand corrected. It is hydraulic as you say.
I removed same off of 94 XJ12 and installed Konis which worked out great.
I will send to different mechanic to sort out.
It just seems that these never worked correctly.
Thanks, and will report in a week or so as I have to get out of dodge.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL
Originally Posted by JCHENRYARCH
Yes, I stand corrected. It is hydraulic as you say.
I removed same off of 94 XJ12 and installed Konis which worked out great.
I will send to different mechanic to sort out.
It just seems that these never worked correctly.
Thanks, and will report in a week or so as I have to get out of dodge.
I have seen some SLS systems with over 150,000 miles on them. They work its just a question if you want to spend the money. The shocks and pump cost an arm and a leg from the dealer. The accumulators are not too awful bad. But if you know a good mechanic he should be able to fix the system for less than what he would charge to modify it to run without.

As a note!! I had a customer whom had his 560 hydro shocks removed and the place that did it just replaced the shocks, pinched the hoses and never bothered to delete the pump. Needless to say his hydro pump froze up as all the fluid leaked out from the crimped lines and BAM... Wasted timing chain and valves. Your pump runs off the timing chain. Be sure it is properly removed or you may have more problems than your suspension.