S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

HELP! 1990 w126 560SEL alarm malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 1990 w126 560SEL alarm malfunction

Wow, heres a new on on me. HELP!!!!!!!!!

When the car is running, and I step on the brakes, the auto alarm goes off. I have to pull over, shut down, restart (without stepping on the brake) and then drive away. I do this by leaving it in neutral.

Also, when I open the right rear door, the alarm beeps once.

Hmmm, what gremlin is responsible for this?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
Wow, heres a new on on me. HELP!!!!!!!!!

When the car is running, and I step on the brakes, the auto alarm goes off. I have to pull over, shut down, restart (without stepping on the brake) and then drive away. I do this by leaving it in neutral.

Also, when I open the right rear door, the alarm beeps once.

Hmmm, what gremlin is responsible for this?
Did you try and dis-arm the alarm by putting the key in the trunk and turning counter clockwise? Be sure to pull the key out at the 9 o’clock position.

Your locks should all lock together using any of the 3 locks (Driver/Passenger/trunk). When locking the vehicle from the trunk and removing the key when turned to the 3 o’clock position you will activate the alarm.

The alarm system monitors the doors and light circuits. If a door is opened the draw will trip the relay and activate the alarm system. Funny that you say it just goes off when you hit the brakes. Does this happen ALL the time? How long have you owned this vehicle?

You have some sort of short that is back feeding. Narrowing it down should not be too bad. Try some of the above and let me know what you find. Also have a look to see,

(1) The dome lights are working when doors are open (Check the ones on the bottom of the door to ensure they have not fallen out or become grounded)

(2) Check to ensure you have no burnt out tail lights or turn signals.

(3) De-activate the alarm as I mentioned above. Does this stop it from happening?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixed it, sort of

Did you try and dis-arm the alarm by putting the key in the trunk and turning counter clockwise? Be sure to pull the key out at the 9 o’clock position.

yup, tried that. no luck
Your locks should all lock together using any of the 3 locks (Driver/Passenger/trunk). When locking the vehicle from the trunk and removing the key when turned to the 3 o’clock position you will activate the alarm.

yup, got that, tried, arms and dis-arms just fine.

The alarm system monitors the doors and light circuits. If a door is opened the draw will trip the relay and activate the alarm system. Funny that you say it just goes off when you hit the brakes. Does this happen ALL the time? How long have you owned this vehicle?

owned it more than a year, brakes are fine, pads in good shape, sensors tested good.

it started one night, lights on/off no difference, it just went off, then I noticed it only happened when i hit the brakes.

I'd shut the car off, alarm would stop. start the car, no alarm, step on brakes, ... alarm. Hmmm. shut car off, put car in neutral, start car, no alarm, put in drive, no alarm, step on brakes... alarm. Hmmm.

after getting home, it would also "beep" once, only when the right rear door is opened. I figured a short somewhere.

You have some sort of short that is back feeding. Narrowing it down should not be too bad. Try some of the above and let me know what you find. Also have a look to see,

(1) The dome lights are working when doors are open (Check the ones on the bottom of the door to ensure they have not fallen out or become grounded)

yup, all good.

(2) Check to ensure you have no burnt out tail lights or turn signals.

yup, all good

(3) De-activate the alarm as I mentioned above. Does this stop it from happening?

nope.

so, I disconnected the alarm. Oh well.

but hey, thanks for the reply.
This car has over 250k, and has been a wonderful car.