S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

380se climate control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380SE
380se climate control

I purchased a 1985 380SE with 77,000 miles a couple of months ago. It seems you make a new discovery daily with these cars. Love the ride but the climate control doesn't work, the fan turns on whenever it feels like and most of the time not at all (or can be heard barely turnng) Fan sometimes works on high when pressing defrost button but mostly not. Pushing slow or fast fan speed buttons rarely works. Suggestions?

Last edited by cruiser; 02-10-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380SE
Question additional info

l would like to provide some more details on the climate control function on this W126. The fan blows at high speed occasionally. (Usually after a cold start) Pushing any of the buttons rarely works. When set to automatic fan speed usually get no fan but it will start blowing after driving for a time and changes speed from max to min every couple of seconds then will stop working. There is plenty of ambient heat coming from the vents during a long drive. I live where it snows and not having a defrost fan or good heat is a major problem. It is limiting my enjoyment of this fine sedan although I'm not too upset with her yet. Do I start by replacing the push button control module or might it be faulty connections to the fan motor? Something else?

Last edited by cruiser; 02-18-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
need to spend some money

Originally Posted by cruiser
l would like to provide some more details on the climate control function on this W126. The fan blows at high speed occasionally. (Usually after a cold start) Pushing any of the buttons rarely works. When set to automatic fan speed usually get no fan but it will start blowing after driving for a time and changes speed from max to min every couple of seconds then will stop working. There is plenty of ambient heat coming from the vents during a long drive. I live where it snows and not having a defrost fan or good heat is a major problem. It is limiting my enjoyment of this fine sedan although I'm not too upset with her yet. Do I start by replacing the push button control module or might it be faulty connections to the fan motor? Something else?
Cruiser:

You need a new, I mean a re-built one of these controls if your blower is OK. It is a box thing which cost me $500 or so a few years back. The electronics are not dependable compared with the engine and transmission. That is why even Porsche and MB are now buying their AC compressors from Denso (previously known as Nippon Denso).

I replaced my blower too but I cannot remember the cost. Most of the units are re-conditioned but you can buy all the regular service items like rotars, brake pads and oil and air filters from MB.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
go to this site

Originally Posted by cruiser
This is one of the best sites for W126 cars. Lots of information.

http://www.mbcoupes.com/w126index.htm