S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

380 SEC in Dubai (Some Issues)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 999 SEQ
380 SEC in Dubai (Some Issues)

Hi there. I have some major problems with my baby. No mechanic can give me a proper solution. I need people with experience. Can anybody help me with the following?:

Hydraulic Central Lock
Is not working anymore. I have to open / close every door manually. Happened suddenly. Were is the problem, what I have to replace, to look for?

Economy Instrument Indicator (Picture Two)
Not working anymore. Stopped Suddenly with the Odometer. What I need to replace or to look for?

Odometer (Mileage) Indicator
Is not running anymore. What happened? What I need to change?

Engine Temperature
Car is really getting hot here in Dubai. Especially when AC is on. With full power. Raises up to 100° C. No wonder. 45°C temperature and relative high humidity. What can I do to keep engine temperature down? I have put coolant instead of water. Additional fan is working. But sometimes very loud. Cannot be heard inside the car only from outside. Its louder than the engine.

Everything else is in excellent condition. So here the data which is needed to be able to provide a detailed answer.

Mercedes Benz 380 SEC 1983
8 Cylinders 204 Horse Power

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Attached Thumbnails 380 SEC in Dubai (Some Issues)-sec.jpg   380 SEC in Dubai (Some Issues)-cimg5732-medium-.jpg   380 SEC in Dubai (Some Issues)-cimg5694-medium-.jpg   380 SEC in Dubai (Some Issues)-cimg5720-medium-.jpg   380 SEC in Dubai (Some Issues)-cimg6178-medium-.jpg  

Old 06-24-2007, 04:03 AM
Almost a Member!

W126 420 SE 1988
Originally Posted by SamerDubai
Hi there. I have some major problems with my baby. No mechanic can give me a proper solution. I need people with experience. Can anybody help me with the following?:

Hydraulic Central Lock
Is not working anymore. I have to open / close every door manually. Happened suddenly. Were is the problem, what I have to replace, to look for?

Economy Instrument Indicator (Picture Two)
Not working anymore. Stopped Suddenly with the Odometer. What I need to replace or to look for?

Odometer (Mileage) Indicator
Is not running anymore. What happened? What I need to change?

Engine Temperature
Car is really getting hot here in Dubai. Especially when AC is on. With full power. Raises up to 100° C. No wonder. 45°C temperature and relative high humidity. What can I do to keep engine temperature down? I have put coolant instead of water. Additional fan is working. But sometimes very loud. Cannot be heard inside the car only from outside. Its louder than the engine.

Everything else is in excellent condition. So here the data which is needed to be able to provide a detailed answer.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
You may have a vacuum leak in your central locking, or your central locking pump may have failed - can you hear the pump trying to cycle in the boot/trunk? Often one of the door actuators fails leading to a vacuum leak, if the pump is working it is a process of elimination to find out where the leak is.

Your economy gauge runs off vacuum also (a different vacuum system however) you will need to trace vacuum lines to see if something has become disconnected.

Odometer, the little gears that drive it can break, I'm sure there has been a write up about it - you need to do a search.

Engine temp can be one of many things from radiator core to thermostat etc, again, do a search on it, there have been a number of posts narrowing down the various problems.

Nice car BTW.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Almost a Member!

W126 420 SE 1988
Hmmmm..........just noticed the economy gauge is pegged to the right, does it go back to the left with the car turned off?

I overnighted in Dubai earlier last year to break the journey from Australia to the UK (flew on Emirates), busy city, lots of shopping (my wife liked the shopping).

Last edited by 420 SE; 06-24-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:20 AM

Mercedes 999 SEQ
Originally Posted by 420 SE
Hmmmm..........just noticed the economy gauge is pegged to the right, does it go back to the left with the car turned off?
no it just stays right.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:24 AM

Mercedes 999 SEQ
Originally Posted by 420 SE
You may have a vacuum leak in your central locking, or your central locking pump may have failed - can you hear the pump trying to cycle in the boot/trunk?
no. No sound. Trunk is always closed. As well as the tank flap. When I am at the petrol station, I have to open the trunk with the key and then there inside is a mechanism to open the small flap.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Almost a Member!

W126 420 SE 1988
OK, lets deal with the central locking. It sounds as if there is no power to the pump or the pump is toast.

Check your fuses, replace any aluminum fuses with copper ones and clean the contacts i the fuse box. Check the electrics at the pump to see if there is current getting to the pump.

If there is a vacuum leak and the pump has cycled unsuccessfully it may shut down. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will reset the pump.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
80-010.pdf (502.9 KB, 294 views)
80-090.pdf (85.5 KB, 268 views)
80-104.pdf (209.6 KB, 287 views)
80-108.pdf (137.9 KB, 260 views)
80-112.pdf (142.5 KB, 258 views)
Old 06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Almost a Member!

W126 420 SE 1988
A couple more
Attached Files
80-116.pdf (116.8 KB, 248 views)
80-120.pdf (170.6 KB, 235 views)
Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
Originally Posted by SamerDubai
[/I]Engine Temperature

THANKS IN ADVANCE

i live in the uae too... ever since summer started the engines goin really hot especially in stop and go traffic, it reaches 90-95 in stop and go traffic (which is most of dubai and sharjah) and goes slightly below 90 at highway speeds this is only during the afternoon. due to the continous contruction in the city, a fine layer of dust gets stuck in the radiator grill... this doesnt let it do its job right and may affect its efficiency to a point... especially in this weather... hit the radiator with pressurized water and clean it thoroughly... my mechanic put 20 % water, and 80 % coolant... thts his advice as for best mix for the weather here.... did you just put coolant?

the additional fan is always on, even before the engine is started, when i put the key in the start position, i can hear it start... have ur mechanic do this set up. i think it may help. or set it to start above 80 C , which is basically the same thing these days.:P

and nice car btw... how much do you think ur wheels are worth if bought from here? im looking to replce my stock steel ones with something like them.

Last edited by wowmb; 06-26-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:42 AM

Mercedes 999 SEQ
Hi WowMB, nice to meet someone like you

You are absolute right with the temperatures. I just put coolant. Is that not good? And I will get the radiator grill cleaned. Very nice thought! But is it "healthy" for the car that water comes in the engine? I really don't know.

Dubai ist ONLY stop and go traffic, its really crazy. I cannot drive 1 kilometer without using the brakes. IMPOSSIBLE. Crazy drivers, crazy traffic, crazy heat, crazy buildings everything is crazy here.

Regarding the rims: These are original AMG rims, they were on the car, when I bought it. I really don't know the price. But my spare wheel is ORIGINAL 1983 WHEEL. Never ever used. Looks so new. Must be expensive huh?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Almost a Member!

'87 MB 300SE
yeh... as far as i know putting only coolant isnt a good idea, it may actually not do the job of cooling the engine right... u did this urself or did an experienced mechanic u trusted did this for you? because u also get coolants already mixed with water , ready to use directly without adding anything else, probably that is what was used. just check and make sure. if not, flush out the radiator fluid, use 20 % masafi water(to be safe, the mechanic i go to said its the best for this, but it shud be warm in temperature), and 80% original mercedes coolant, it will say anti freeze on the container but dont worry abt it.

when i said hit the radiator with high pressure water, i meant the radiator ONLY... NOT ENGINE! PLEASE DONT DO THT! just the slim thing between the additional fan and the main fan... just so we are clear! it has all those thin grooves where dust settles in and doesnt allow air to pass thru hence preventing cooling of the fluid passing thru the radiator. the rest is history.

and nice knowing someone from the area too!