S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 420 SEL
Newbie Questions

Hi I am a complete virgin to the MB world and modding so I might ask a lot of dumb questions because I just don't know. Please be patient with me.
First of all my MB belonged to my brother-in law who passed away last year, we played golf together and he was married to my wifes sister we were very close. The MB has so much sentimental value to me that I paid my sister more than it is worth just to keep his memory close to me.
OK enuff with the tear jerking.
I wanted to make the following upgrades so as much help with links and so forth would be helpful.

Euro style head and tail lights
17 or better chrome wheels
Low profile tires
Body kit
Chrome accents on door and wheel wells
Glass Sun roof
Black Rag top (Old School,not convertible)
Black Pearl Paint
Flip interior black (wishful thinking)
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Khalyl357; 01-21-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
380se
Sorry to hear about your loss.

First do not do anything on your list. Take that car to a reputable dealer service center or to a good indy. For about 150 they will give you what they call a pre-purchase inspection. You need to know what kind of mechanical condition that car is in. Sentimental or not, that dude will bury you with bills if is not in pristine condition. I am talking subtle stuff like a slightly rough idle, anything in the heating/cooling system, loose suspension (slop in the wheel) You are talking 10k just to start. Forget about finishing.

If the car is in good mechanical condition and everything works then you can start on your list.

Just my 2cents. Good luck.