S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Oil Pan repair.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300D (Turbo) 1986 300SDL
Oil Pan repair.

I recently damaged the oil pan on a 300SDL. A high curb knocked a hole 1/4 inch 4 inched wide. My local MB dealer wants 500.00 for a new one. Can anyone tell me if the old one can be welded? The pan metal looks like forged aluminum.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:28 PM

85 500SEC
This may sound a bit crazy but the hand-mixable epoxy is amazingly tough stuff. I had an old Volvo that blew water pump and the fan put multiple holes in the radiator core (a hight pressure/high heat application). I cleaned the mangled radiator metal pieces and put the quick drying (5 minute or 15 minute) epoxy on the metal. It lasted for years and never leaked. An oil pan is a less stressful application than a radiator.

It will cost $5.00 (not $500). Just a suggestion.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 AM

I'm new 'round these parts, so first off Hello!

I'm also new to the M-B world; I'm a professional fabricator in the performance automotive industry, and as such do a fair whack of welding.

To answer your question, the oil pan may or may not be weldable. Many european manufacturers (VW and Porsche especially, in my experience) are known for using varying amounts of magnesium in their castings. Weld repair of magnesium alloy's is best left those who've done it before, or are at least a) know how to identify it, and b) know enough to research how to weld it. The welding process would be GTAW (aka TIG/Heliarc.) Magnesium alloy filler material is VERY expensive, so keep this in mind if you find a shop who gives you an expensive quote. Bear in mind, it may or may not make for a sucessful repair.

I'll second the suggestion for repairing the pan with an epoxy based filler. JBWeld, and a host of other products will work. Make sure the area to be repaired is CLEAN and oil-free. A little sanding goes a long way, followed by chemical cleaning (acetone, etc.)

It'll at least get you hole-free until you can source another pan from a wrecker/etc.

Best of luck,
Mike
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM

380se
J.B. Weld can fix all kinds of things. As the prev. poster mentioned, you need a clean surface. I like ether since it has no additives and does not leave a residue after it evaporates like brake parts cleaner. You can start with brake cleaner and then finish with ether. Don't rush it, 5 minutes to set but 24 to cure, let it sit and don't rush it.