S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

My first SEC! Need some help a few little problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SEC 380 1984
My first SEC! Need some help a few little problems...

Just bought my first SEC and first Mercedes for that matter.

Its a 1984 SEC 380 light green with dark green velour interior. The car is in amazing condition not just for the year but amazing condition. A few small things that I would think are common faults on this model that I'd like to get working:

1, First and most importantly the car takes a while to start, this is something that Ill be handing over to my mechanic but would be good to know what it could be.

2. The seats dont seem to be locked by the "vacuum system" the manual talks about, this means they move about freely and wont lock into place which i think is also the reason the backrests and headrest adjustments are not working on the electric switch.

3. The seatbelt deliverer doesnt work on the drivers side but does on the passenger.

4. The interior lights dont switch on when I open the doors even though I have the light switch in the correct position.

5. Id like to get some cd's or mp3's in the car however, it has the original radio and it seems a shame to take that out, anyone got any ideas?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Almost a Member!

merc 126 500 sec 1984
Originally Posted by SEC380spain
Just bought my first SEC and first Mercedes for that matter.

Its a 1984 SEC 380 light green with dark green velour interior. The car is in amazing condition not just for the year but amazing condition. A few small things that I would think are common faults on this model that I'd like to get working:

1, First and most importantly the car takes a while to start, this is something that Ill be handing over to my mechanic but would be good to know what it could be.

fuel pump relay can be a problem?? in the fuse box... try turning the ignition on till u hear the buzz from the fuel pump about 20 times b4 u start the car this will prime it, if that helps the starting u will need i new relay.

2. The seats dont seem to be locked by the "vacuum system" the manual talks about, this means they move about freely and wont lock into place which i think is also the reason the backrests and headrest adjustments are not working on the electric switch.

i have the same problem, check the vacume hoses for leaks under the seat. think they are blue.

3. The seatbelt deliverer doesnt work on the drivers side but does on the passenger.

check for power, might need new motor or teeth stripped...

4. The interior lights dont switch on when I open the doors even though I have the light switch in the correct position.

check the switches near the hinges of the door. wobble them, take them out, clean, check connection, otherwise take out int light and make sure it makes a connection.

5. Id like to get some cd's or mp3's in the car however, it has the original radio and it seems a shame to take that out, anyone got any ideas?
if it has a tape deck get one of those cassets that has a 1/4 inch jack coming out of it so u could plug in a i pod or discman.... but just get a new radio dude!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
As far as the lights, look at the electrical pins in the door jambs. They may be disconnected.
Most likely the seat belt extender's nylon gear is stripped. New ones made from metal were available sometime ago.

How many miles on the car?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 PM

380se
Send your radio back to becker of N.A. They are still there and will send you a factory rebuilt radio for a few hundred dollars, adding an aux jack is 100 more, but you get to keep your factory stereo and can use the new technology.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Post pics
I love 126c