S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Just A Few Things

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 420 SEL; 2000 S430
Just A Few Things

I have an 89 420 SEL that I have owned since 99. It has 173K miles. I bought it with 85K. It has been extremely reliable; however some problems have come up lately that I intend to address and keep this car running.

1) Erratic vacuum system. It started with the alarm going off. I disconnected it. The problem still exists, except the alarm no longer sounds. The doors lock anytime a door is opened and while driving the doors will simply lock.

I have heard that there is a unit in the trunk that needs to be adjusted. Any input??

2) The AC Blower just shut off. I have read a few threads on this and I am still somewhat lost as it appears that it could be a number of things. I am not a tree shade mechanic but I'd like a little guidance on what to look for.

3) Finally - I am ordering new shocks from Rusty and have a question. The parts catalogs specify "comfort" or "heavy duty" for the front, but "comfort - heavy duty" for the rear. Is there only a distinction on the front shocks?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gerry G; 08-02-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Gerry G
2) The AC Blower just shut off. I have read a few threads on this and I am still somewhat lost as it appears that it could be a number of things. I am not a tree shade mechanic but I'd like a little guidance on what to look for.

3) Finally - I am ordering new shocks from Rusty and have a question. The parts catalogs specify "comfort" or "heavy duty" for the front, but "comfort - heavy duty" for the rear. Is there only a distinction on the front shocks?

Thanks in advance.
2) There are a couple DIYs in this and the other forum.

3) Are you ordering Bilsteins? AFAIK Bilsteins have both Comfort and HD versions, they ought to be different
Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
Start with replacing all the fuses in the fuse block. Use the copper ones and not the aluminum ones. I had electrical gremlins and this has stopped them from happening since.
The control unit could be bad when it intermittently runs and than stops. Beckman Ind. in the Carolinas has done rebuilds in the past that I have had no problems with. Be careful all 126 control units are not the same.
There is a 30 amp inline fuse you can check, but I doubt that to be the problem.
Originally Posted by Gerry G
I have an 89 420 SEL that I have owned since 99. It has 173K miles. I bought it with 85K. It has been extremely reliable; however some problems have come up lately that I intend to address and keep this car running.

1) Erratic vacuum system. It started with the alarm going off. I disconnected it. The problem still exists, except the alarm no longer sounds. The doors lock anytime a door is opened and while driving the doors will simply lock.

I have heard that there is a unit in the trunk that needs to be adjusted. Any input??

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 420 SEL; 2000 S430
Thanks for the replies.

The AC prob was the 30 amp in line fuse. It initially looked ok, but upon close inspection it had a crack. Replaced it with a new version with a plug in fuse until the OEM comes in that I ordered.

The shocks were installed. Went with comfort. I regret that and wish I had gone with HD. The comforts are great on the freeway, but I do more city driving and would have preferred some cornering stabilty.

That door locks are still an issue, and a very annoying one at that.

Gerry G