S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Supercharged Sec ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged Sec ??

Has anybody done it and how it works ??
Anyway is it possible ??
Old 09-03-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 560SEL
Supercharger

I had plans to use a Vortec from a 5.0 mustang on my 85 500SEC. It has low compression pistons so it is already setup to support some boost. The Bosch injection system will support a blown application as long as it is within reason. I did a rebuild replacing all of the bearings in preparation for the mod. However I never finished the last phase of mounting and belting the Vortec. I did a port and polish w/ gasket match and a custom open exhaust. That alone made a big difference. Someday I hope to put the Vortec to another use other than collecting dust on the shelf. I also planned to use an electronic ignition with knock sensor detector and able to support vacuum and boost control of timing. Sometimes I think a Megasquirt might be more flexible though. The plan included eliminating the air pump, move the alternator down to where the air pump is located and then locate the Vortec where the alternator is. It took a bit of welding and trimming to make a custom bracket for the alternator but never made the final steps to make the bracket and mount the supercharger. Someday I'll finish this but until then I enjoy driving the car with the other mods I have completed.