S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

black smoke!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merc 126 500 sec 1984
black smoke!!!!!!

hi, i have a 1984 500sec, just wondering what causes black smoke when u rev the engine hard??

i am assuming its over fueling... (££££$$$$$)

are there any sensors that can cause problems like this??

if so how do i diagnose them and where are they??

thanks for any input

cheers
Old 09-01-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We need more information, like the service history of the car or any other symptoms. Also, does this happen when the engine is hot and driving, a load factor, or above a certain RPM? The more information the better.

Could be injectors, and air filter, CO adjustment (rare) O2 sensor, or carbon burnoff.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Almost a Member!

merc 126 500 sec 1984
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
We need more information, like the service history of the car or any other symptoms. Also, does this happen when the engine is hot and driving, a load factor, or above a certain RPM? The more information the better.

Could be injectors, and air filter, CO adjustment (rare) O2 sensor, or carbon burnoff.
thanks for helping out, the car has had:

new:

injectors
plugs
ht leads
dizzy cap
rotor arm
air filter
oil&filter

the car has done about 130,000 miles

i have had the co adjustment done

it uses too much fuel we think

it only makes the black smoke when revved hard both under load and when in neutral

no differance when its hot or cold!

the throttle body has been cleaned out with lots of carb spray

could it be a problem with the fuel distributor thing??

it does only seem to make the puff of black smoke at hi rpm

i hope its an easy fix .... spent too much on this car already

thank you
Old 09-04-2008, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The cheapest and easiest solution would be an old O2 sensor that is not responsing fast enough.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:39 AM

1990 560SEL
Pressure problem?

I would start with the O2 sensor since they are cheap but sometimes a real bugger to loosen and change out.

The 84/85 SEC uses the M117 with a warm up compensator that also performs acceleration enrichment at lower temperatures. If the compensator or temp sensor is faulty it could lead to this type of symptom. I would recommend having someone with a Bosch fuel pressure gauge set hook up and run through the diagnostics. I would also recommend checking the vacuum systems temperature sensors if you have not done so already. Since the whole system works on pressure and pressure changes you can end up throwing a lot of money at the problem and not solve it. Sometimes the fixes are cheap but notoriously difficult to find.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nsmith17044
I would start with the O2 sensor since they are cheap but sometimes a real bugger to loosen and change out.

The 84/85 SEC uses the M117 with a warm up compensator that also performs acceleration enrichment at lower temperatures. If the compensator or temp sensor is faulty it could lead to this type of symptom. I would recommend having someone with a Bosch fuel pressure gauge set hook up and run through the diagnostics. I would also recommend checking the vacuum systems temperature sensors if you have not done so already. Since the whole system works on pressure and pressure changes you can end up throwing a lot of money at the problem and not solve it. Sometimes the fixes are cheap but notoriously difficult to find.

Good luck.
Of course, the temperature compensator, I should know, mine was bad too (along with my fuel distributor and EHA due to ethanol in CA fuel). Although, would the warm-up regulator only cause black smoke at high rpm, would the engine not always run rich?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Almost a Member!

merc 126 500 sec 1984
anyone? any more ideas what i should check and how i find the o2 sensor or temp sensor etc? its getting embarising covering the road behind me with a black cloud when i put my foot down ha ha

i have just read up on peoples past threads and found that
these can be a problem, the cold start injector, EHA and KE control unit (FI systems brain)...

how do i test them and where can i find them?

thanks

this car makes me feel like this...

Last edited by jonnyoutram; 12-04-2008 at 12:04 AM.