S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Hopefully just simple problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Mercedes Benz 560SEL
Question Hopefully just simple problems...

i recently bought my first benz. an '89 560SEL. it was a steal at only $600 but there are many small problems that need to be fixed before i can use it as an everyday driver. any help is MUCH appreciated, as i know little to nothing about german engineering. here are some of the problems..

1. turn signals work without headlights, but when lights are on, only my right signal works and the left one just stays on.

2. intermittent miss in engine, plugs are new and wires look fine to me. although one was arcing on header once before.

3. dashlight behind gauges doesnt work

4. what looked to be a few smudges of oil in the air fliter pan(idk if its a big deal or not)

5. sunroof doesnt open(when i press the button i can here a motor but it doesnt budge, its also tilting upward at the back just enough to let rain drip through)

and i have just one more question which is my biggest worry of all. the previous owner decided it would be a 'smart' idea to rip out the radio(the wrong way). i know the theft deterrant damages electronics, but how bad?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by JokerJangles560
i recently bought my first benz. an '89 560SEL. it was a steal at only $600 but there are many small problems that need to be fixed before i can use it as an everyday driver. any help is MUCH appreciated, as i know little to nothing about german engineering. here are some of the problems..

1. turn signals work without headlights, but when lights are on, only my right signal works and the left one just stays on.
You might want to check the bulbs one for sure is burnt out.What do you mean works with out head lights...

2. intermittent miss in engine, plugs are new and wires look fine to me. although one was arcing on header once before.If a wire was arcing before you better start looking for a new wire set.If at all possible buy OEM products,also a new distributor cap and rotor wouldn't hurt.

3. dashlight behind gauges doesnt work
The gauge cluster is so easy to pull out see this link http://benzguy.piczo.com/replacingda...linkvar=000044
4. what looked to be a few smudges of oil in the air fliter pan(idk if its a big deal or not)Now that could be serious.Start your engine and let it run idle for a few minutes.Then remove the oil filler cap on the valve cover while the engine is still running,report back to us and tell us what you noticed.

5. sunroof doesnt open(when i press the button i can here a motor but it doesnt budge, its also tilting upward at the back just enough to let rain drip through)

and i have just one more question which is my biggest worry of all. the previous owner decided it would be a 'smart' idea to rip out the radio(the wrong way). i know the theft deterrant damages electronics, but how bad?
I think the most serious issue right now would be the engine oil in your air filter housing.
Good luck and get back to us asap.
Cheers
Big Dan
Vancouver Canada
Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 PM

I left you a private message.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:16 AM

1991 420SEL & 300E, 2003 BMW X5, 2001 740iL all on DUBS
truely ive had oil smudges in my air filter housing for years not a big problem just make sure he smudges are not reaccuring (new ones everyday), get ur electrical system checked u probably have a couple fuses dead or maybe a relay,open ur sun roof manualy in the trunk and clean out the raillings and seals, lub all moving parts so that is glides without strain, and as far as the stereo gots it shouldnt be a problem if u upgrade to a aftermarket head unit
Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM

1989 Mercedes Benz 560SEL
when the car is running, the turn signals work as long as the headlights are not on. but when they are on only the right signal flashes and the left one just stays on..

any links to opening the sun roof manually?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350, W140 S, C63, G55, 420SEL, Prius, Dune Buggy, Ducati
A fuse for the strange light behavoir. I had one issue where opening the car door turned teh radio off! A fuse fixed it. The fuese in these may look good, but you cannot always tell visually.

Manually crank it open/closed by accessing a nut in the driver's side trunkwell near the antenna.

First try to lube the tracks once you get it open. Be sure to clean the weatherstipping well or scrayches will begin to appear.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:44 AM

380se
The intermittent miss in the engine might end up being a tough one to track down. Plug wires are an excellent place to start. Examine the cap for cracks. After that it starts getting tough to find. Open up your fuse box and at the very least roll them around to break the oxidation and clean the connections.

I have battled an intermittent miss for a long time and have replaced and fixed many things. It got better with everything I did indicating that with a closed loop system you just never know for sure.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM

1987 300 SDL
I concur with the fuse theory since they'r usually the source for these type of oddities. Just pennies if you buy them in bulk. After turning the sunroof manually, and cleaning it as said before, if is not turning then could be a broken wire or a stripped gear. Hard to tell without doing the above-mentioned steps first.

About the electrical issue,... wires can be decieving as sometimes outside they look fine, but inside are broken pieces of ****, or arching. If one time they were bad, they are bad... (is like milk), once its bad, just get new. Don't forget the distribuitor cap (where cables come from). The other end is that new plugs can go bad if defective wires or engine missfires, since they get fueled. Check them again after changing wires to see if they are dry and kacky in color (black, dark brown, or wet are bad signs and no good anymore). Since you are doing to it check firing order.

Radio wise get an Alpine unit at Best Buys for $100- $140 depending on features, all with CD, money well spent, sound and clarity awesome, and upgradable. I wanted to get another OEM radio, but to much money for a crappy old-school, obsolete unit that could last 10 years or 10 minutes, since you are buying used. Hope this helps. Howl some more if you need additional help buddy...and GL on uR project!

BERDE

Last edited by Berde; 04-30-2009 at 03:38 PM.