S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Lucky's build thread, my '82 500SE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German
Originally Posted by GADOGUZ
fake wheels, haaaa?!
I laugh at them too.

I am not a fan of replica's, only OEM or established companies that actually spend money researching, designing, and building quality wheels.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
fix

u219
its really cool with last(in the pic) wheels
Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM

W126 300SE & W123 240D
theNKs!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 AM

German
OK, you can stop now.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:56 AM

300SD
try some hid's for your headlights since you went back to the euros.... they look really good and put off a great amount of light would probably look better at night and i think a kit off ebay is only $50us. but make sure you tell them if thats the route you choose that you have dual beam headlights before you buy to make sure they have the hids
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by BADwayz
Thank you sir.

Got my wheels mounted today. Now, I'm not sure how I feel about the full polished look. I know I am going to change out the spring pads for smaller ones, I have #4's up front and #3's in the rear now. Def need 20mm spacers in the rear with rolled fenders, and I am thinking that color matched centers will look better than the polished. Oh, and tails are going to be changed again soon, don't like the black out.

Any thoughts?

I absolutely love these three piece wheels, and the painted matching centers in your other pics...where did you get them? How much where they?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 PM

German
Originally Posted by brnbenz
try some hid's for your headlights since you went back to the euros.... they look really good and put off a great amount of light would probably look better at night and i think a kit off ebay is only $50us. but make sure you tell them if thats the route you choose that you have dual beam headlights before you buy to make sure they have the hids
I have Bi-Xenon in them now.

Originally Posted by xlr8tin
I absolutely love these three piece wheels, and the painted matching centers in your other pics...where did you get them? How much where they?
I bought them used from someone, luckily they came with brand new tires and are in mint condition for how old they are. I wouldnt sell for less than $3500.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
GREAT WORK with your car

why did u need spaces with the 3 piece amgs, i didnt use any with mine. arent they supposed to be a perfect fit. i havent lowered my car, but sometimes when i go over like a rolling bump on the freeway, i think the rear fender will rub the tire.

my car being a euro car sits higher than US version, Plus i dont have SLS.
bu t i think i will eventually need to get Bilstein HDS and H &Rs

telll me about your headlights. i reall y need more light out of my stocks. whens a good remedy
Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM

German
Originally Posted by vdubpower
GREAT WORK with your car

why did u need spaces with the 3 piece amgs, i didnt use any with mine. arent they supposed to be a perfect fit. i havent lowered my car, but sometimes when i go over like a rolling bump on the freeway, i think the rear fender will rub the tire.

my car being a euro car sits higher than US version, Plus i dont have SLS.
bu t i think i will eventually need to get Bilstein HDS and H &Rs

telll me about your headlights. i reall y need more light out of my stocks. whens a good remedy
I used a spacer in the rear because I wanted the wheel to be more flush with the fender. I think it looks perfect the way it sits now, at ET-2
I am also running a smaller diameter and stretched tire and rolled my fenders, so fitment will be different than yours.

Headlights are DEPO with euro 6-pin plug, bi-Xenon, fog, and city lights. I bought them from eBay 6 months ago, cant remember how much I paid. They are much better than the US lights, but not as good as modern style lamps that use projectors, however Im happy with the light output and they look great.

Here is a poor pic that shows the city lights, I chose yellow rather than white.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:40 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
Thanks mang.

Did a few small details, decals on the side views and some on the wheels to show my opinion on rep's.

that's hilarious!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:51 PM

1985 Mercedes 500 SEL
glad I found this thread. I was waiting on you to post more recent pics on the official pic thread. no longer need to wait now.
your car's looking sweet! Wish I could happen upon some wheels like yours. But, being in this economy, I'm gonna have to wait for such a thing.
Wish I had the know-how you do. You did everything yourself, even rolling your fenders? Damn. I feel like I know nothing. If I didn't suck as a mechanic my 500sel would be driving right now. I finally broke down and decided I'm having someone else finish it, but then why not upgrade a little while I'm at it. So, a friends dad owns a race shop, and does a lot of custom work, and custom engines.... I'm getting the heads ported and polished, custom exhaust manifold, and new injectors. Then I'm gonna ponder new ways to improve the air situation without breaking down and having a turbo put in(although I bet I'll do that one day...)
One answer I've never gotten out of you or anyone, where do you get the body kits? The lip on the front, the paneling along the side. Mine sure doesn't have these. I'd like to, as I plan on lowering it one of these days, you know, once it's driving.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sorry, what do u mean the headlights are DEPO, is that a brand?

so your wheels/tires sit closer to the fender, jeez, im already worried about rubbing, and im running 275s, wanted to do the proper 265s but they didnt have that tire in size.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:00 AM

German
Originally Posted by 1985_500sel
glad I found this thread. I was waiting on you to post more recent pics on the official pic thread. no longer need to wait now.
your car's looking sweet! Wish I could happen upon some wheels like yours. But, being in this economy, I'm gonna have to wait for such a thing.
Wish I had the know-how you do. You did everything yourself, even rolling your fenders? Damn. I feel like I know nothing. If I didn't suck as a mechanic my 500sel would be driving right now. I finally broke down and decided I'm having someone else finish it, but then why not upgrade a little while I'm at it. So, a friends dad owns a race shop, and does a lot of custom work, and custom engines.... I'm getting the heads ported and polished, custom exhaust manifold, and new injectors. Then I'm gonna ponder new ways to improve the air situation without breaking down and having a turbo put in(although I bet I'll do that one day...)
One answer I've never gotten out of you or anyone, where do you get the body kits? The lip on the front, the paneling along the side. Mine sure doesn't have these. I'd like to, as I plan on lowering it one of these days, you know, once it's driving.
To tell you the truth, I don't know crap about cars compared to most DYI people. I am just a huge car fanatic and love to modify everything I own. I learned by the interwebz (forums), books, trial and error, and asking. Somethings take a few tries, but I am learning more and more about my passion with each week. Internal engine work is the one thing I am afraid to mess with and wont do...yet.

The wheels have always been my favorit and I very luckily happen to stumble apon a guy who was not only selling them in mint condition, but was also wiilling to take payments, I had them payed off in 2 months and then learned how to refinish them myself. Best purchase I have ever made, will keep these forever.

The body kit is an original AMG kit, came with the car when I purchased it, actually the whole AMG package was the reason why I bought the car. Keep your eyes peeled on here and other MB forums for people selling them, can be pricey though.

sorry, what do u mean the headlights are DEPO, is that a brand?

so your wheels/tires sit closer to the fender, jeez, im already worried about rubbing, and im running 275s, wanted to do the proper 265s but they didnt have that tire in size.
DEPO is the brand, yes.

My tires wont rub because im on 215/40 front and 235/40 rear. Stretched for maximum fender/wheel flushness. Maybe I hang out with too many VW/Audi guys, ha.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oh ok, u must not have the 10 inchers on the back then, i thought u did
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 PM

German
oh ok, u must not have the 10 inchers on the back then, i thought u did
What would make you think that, Of course I have 10's in rear.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM

04' CLK500, 04' SL55, 01' S600, 90' 560 SEL / 560 SEC, 87' 560 SEC AMG, LR SIIa, LR DII.
Bad; Have you thought about putting a real light shade of tint on it? Just to completely monochrome the look.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my bad i didnt think a 1 0 would fit in those tires, i dont know.
i just went with what was recommeneded to match the stock setup

i think i have 235/45 and 275 45
Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 PM

German
Originally Posted by DanielSL
Bad; Have you thought about putting a real light shade of tint on it? Just to completely monochrome the look.
As in window tint? I used to tint every car I bought, first thing. Now my taste have changed and Im more into the cleanlyness of non tinted windows.

my bad i didnt think a 1 0 would fit in those tires, i dont know.
i just went with what was recommeneded to match the stock setup

i think i have 235/45 and 275 45
Ha, the tires DONT fit, they're stretched (see pic below). I don't modify cars to fit in OEM recomendations only, anyone can buy a stock vehicle and keep it OEM, yawn, not my taste (doesnt mean I dont respect it though).
For your set-up, I would keep it the way you got it. It matches your application perfect. If you did have any rubbing issues, a fender roller would solve them.

My Brabus wheels (225/40 on 18x9.5). People have been stretching tires for decades, but no shop would ever recomend it
Old 09-26-2009, 09:38 PM

'89 420SEL
I laugh at them too.

I am not a fan of replica's, only OEM or established companies that actually spend money researching, designing, and building quality wheels.

Great thread....and cool car.

I've been looking for some time for a set of geniune 17" AMG for my '89 W126...HARD to find with correct offset!

Whats your take on using spacers? Some really frown on it...some don't.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

u dont need them if you buy the right wheel
the amg 3 peice were made for this car
they fit fine.
i have no spacers
i might need some HR and bilstein HDs soon tho
Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 AM

German
Originally Posted by homeliner
Great thread....and cool car.

I've been looking for some time for a set of geniune 17" AMG for my '89 W126...HARD to find with correct offset!

Whats your take on using spacers? Some really frown on it...some don't.
They're out there, just expensive to find a good set without the cracks in the faces and straight lips.

Spacers, why not. Thousands of people use them. I havent ever had an issue, rears AND fronts on my other benz. I have 20mm on the rears of the 126 now and zero problems.
u dont need them if you buy the right wheel
the amg 3 peice were made for this car
they fit fine.
i have no spacers
i might need some HR and bilstein HDs soon tho
They were indeed built for this cars offset and work great with recomended specs. But for mine, Im hoping to make my 17x10's into 17x11's so I can rid the rear spacer.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 AM

German
Car is for sale $5,000. Would trade for a european wagon, may part out some of the AMG stuff if anyone is interested (not cheap though). Im in Seattle area. Cheers.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:35 AM

Couple AMG's
your car is beautiful nice build also good look with the sell
Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM

German
Originally Posted by TheDzadz
your car is beautiful nice build also good look with the sell
Thanks bro
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 PM

126 420SE; 500SEL
I've followed your build with interest; like you said it is your personal taste and it reflects good in the car. Been looking for a 500SE for a while; but my personal taste is not on the side of the AMG kit or paint all chrome look. So; how much would you sell the car for without the AMG kit and AMG tire/wheels combo. I have my own set of rare Penta style Conchis I've been saving for a 500SE. By the way I'm not a newbie: own 420SE euro with a set of rare options and a lowered suspension 500SEL euro with Lorinser spoilers that in my taste I like better than AMG.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lucky's build thread, my '82 500SE