S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

New member saying hi!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300SD
New member saying hi!

Hey everyone,
I recently bought an 84 300SD, in a stroke of either genius or madness.
I've been poking around on the interwebs for a while, figuring out what I can about this car and I figured the best way to get informed (online that is) is to join a forum.
I'm sure someone will post the requisite, "Read this first, Noob" links and I look forward to that.

Just off the bat, I've got the Benz running pretty well. The PO had been running WVO in a single tank, using the stock tank, and it's taken a little fiddling to get it peppy again. I added some conventional diesel and adjusted the ALDA and the old heap runs like a top. The fuel sender stopped working, so today I took it out, dismantled it and cleaned the 25 years of sludge off of it. The float moves and I can observe a resistance change over the pins with an ohmmeter. The problem is that while I can make the fuel gauge sweep by connecting the sending unit and tipping it upside-down (causing the float to "rise"), the gauge stops working as soon as I screw it back into the fuel tank. Weird, huh? I checked, and the float is, infact, still buoyant.

Aside from some advice on the fuel sender problem (I'm not interested in spending the $180 on it if I can help it) I'd really like to know where you folk go for affordable parts, both electronic and mechanical. I'm looking for stuff like ball joints and window regulators.
Anyway, thanks a bunch folks.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German
Cant help with the issue, but wanted to say welcome to the boards.

Im sure the guys over at Benzworld can help a bit more than here, its more popular.