S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Touble with ACC unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 300D
Touble with ACC unit

I have an 82 300D, with some climate control issues and AC issues that I hope someone can help me with. I'd be really greatful if someone could read through what I have already attempted and offer some advice before I pour money down the gopher hole.

My AC doesn't blow cold and my ACC push button unit makes this awful rapid clicking/clacking sound sometimes. I am thinking the two are symptoms of a greater problem.

The clicking sound is coming from the acc unit itself, not the switchover valves. Here's what has been done. Swithcover valves replaces, ACC unit replaced, vacuum pods all repaired/replaced, vacuum test shows that HVAC system holds vacuum. The compressor works and the system holds a charge. The monovalve has been replaced. The hose running under the dash to the temperature sensor has been replaced.

Despite all of this, the AC still does not blow cold air, and the ACC unit makes this awful clicking/crackling sound. I even tried plugging all of the vacuum lines going to the systems of the car and nothing changes (except the system then does not properly operate the vacuum pods) so I don't think it is a vacuum issue.

Also, the control of the temperature when running the heat works, but is slow to respond and seems to not have a great deal of degrees of variation (heat or no heat, but not in betweeen temperatures)

I am wondering if it could be one of these parts that (I think) are invovled with controlling the temperature:

AC/Heat Sensor; Heater Output Sensor at Heater Case ($24). I dont' know where this part goes OR this part from under the dash
AC Control Unit; Electronic Switching Unit; OE Rebuilt ($85)

Thanks,