S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Newbie considering 87 300SDL purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie considering 87 300SDL purchase

As the title indicates, I am considering my first Mercedes purchase, of a 1987 300SDL. I've looked at a number of 300SD and SDLs and have been amazed by how their condition varies.

I've found 2 SDLs in great mechanical and exterior body condition, but the interior trim on both are falling apart: torn seats, loose trim, cracked dash, electric seat adjustments not working 100%, and they both have the same funky smell.

Is this par for the course for a Mercedes of this age or should I keep looking? Anything else I should look for? (I'm aware of the oxidizer trap issue) Am I out of my mind for considering an 80s vintage Mercedes as a 2nd car instead of my 5-year old boring but reliable Toyota?

Thank you very much!

(ps: I am coming over from the "dark side" as a long-time BMW owner - my first car is an M3 which will go to the grave with me)
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM

toyota tundra (don't ask), 300sdl
1986-1987 were two of the best years

Hello,

I ended up here by accident - looking for a replacement dead pedal for my 1986 300 sdl that I am going to sell. It was my wife's grandmother's since new, so I never had to worry about funk or beat up. Some of what I did replace was:
  • Vac pump [change to new style]
  • Linkages/ joints / control arms and whatnot - made it steer like new.
  • Vac lines - vacuum is important in these cars - people can think their trans is shot but it is just a vac leak
  • calipers and brakes
  • switch AC to r134 and replace lines [$$$$]
  • window regulators
There was more. Have not thought it through or written ad. Too many cars, only one *** [well, I do have a donkey and a newborn mule].

The electrical problems you are talking about could be switches or motors. Switches = no biggie, motors= seat replacement. The dashes all crack. There are aftermarket "caps" that fit over top and make them look like new. The funky smell is from the first owner lighting his cigars with $100 bills - these were $60,000 cars when $60,000 was ALOT of cabbage.....

Could always get featured on "Pimp my ride"

Things to watch for are signs of crappy vacuum - slow climate control response, door locks are all vacuum, trunk lock is vacuum.

Many that I see on the road look like Jimmy Hoffa is in the trunk - these need rear shocks, sometimes springs and there are suspension bushings that get replaced at the same time.

In my mind, it is a bit of a tinkerer's car - mine has about +/-105,000 miles on it - my understanding is that they are good for 500,000.

Can't say that about any POS made by Toyota, etc.

Being a mechanical diesel, you'll be driving in style like MadMax in the event of Armageddon [everything with computers in it having been rendered inoperable]

If you are in the Northeast and want to see my car email me. It has been sitting is the barn & deserves a new owner. Just needs a hood pad and dead pedal.

They are sweet rides. Those Bavarians are meticulous.

Depends how mechanically inclined you are - it isn't something you want to take to a mercedes dealer for service - you need to have a fair local mechanic to help you with anything big.

I have heard many times that this is the best diesel that Benz ever made.

Brian
Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 PM

SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
How about some pix of that barn car?