S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Hot In Charleston

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hot In Charleston

Hello good people, here I am again asking for help from the Benz lovers. As you know, I have a 1988 300 SE. Recently I have been having a few issues with it. This is the latest one. My Air conditioner. When I get in the car, the ac is cold. If I travel for about 30 mins, it quit cooling. I can pull over the side of the road, cut the engine off and restart. The ac will resume cooling or another 20 to 30 mins. I am lost. I pulled the relay and opened (Klima) nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. Also, sometimes when it rains, the same issue happens. At first I thought that water was getting under the hood of the car. But non-to that effect. Can someone help me…

I have stopped on several occasions to see what is going on under the hood while the engine is running. The clutch was disengaged on the AC unit. I checked the high-pressure switch, the wiring to the switches and the connections to the AC unit it self, I even thought that it may have been the high speed switch. But it happens at all speeds and there seems not to be anything wrong with the connections and all. I have removed the AC relay and replaced it while the car was running, after a few seconds it started. I still don’t think it was the relay, but I do have one on order. I just checked the temp sensor in the car and it seems to be fine as well. I did discover something, I put some gauges on the system and it seems as if the low side is running a higher pressure than it should. I have started to lower the low side to about 30 pounds. The high side is fine at around 245. Tomorrow I will replace the dryer and vacuum the system for a couple of hours, starting over. Still searching and looking for more advice. The next time it shuts down I will disconnect the mono valve and see what happens. If it starts I would assume that I would need to replace the monovalve.