S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Blower fuse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 560SEL Midnight Blue
Blower fuse

The blower fuse in my car melted (more specifically, the plastic around the fuse socket).

One route I investigated was with an independent MB shop. They said that they can do a "fuse bridge" to bypass the socket. Is this a safe/reliable fix? Is it a common type of fix that most shops can do?

Another route was with my dealer. Their parts department showed me a diagram of the fuse box, and the section where the blower fuse resides can be swapped out, but the section is over $200 just for the part.

Has anyone here had a similar fuse problem, and what did you do? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM

e320
Originally Posted by no3withacoke
The blower fuse in my car melted (more specifically, the plastic around the fuse socket).

One route I investigated was with an independent MB shop. They said that they can do a "fuse bridge" to bypass the socket. Is this a safe/reliable fix? Is it a common type of fix that most shops can do?

Another route was with my dealer. Their parts department showed me a diagram of the fuse box, and the section where the blower fuse resides can be swapped out, but the section is over $200 just for the part.

Has anyone here had a similar fuse problem, and what did you do? Thanks in advance!
Hello. Most likely happened from high amperage which is caused by the strip fuse working its way loose over time and starts arching. I have actually seen one catch fire believe it or not You can install a new by-pass harness which is completely safe.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM

e320
Originally Posted by somebodytoo
Hello. Most likely happened from high amperage which is caused by the strip fuse working its way loose over time and starts arching. I have actually seen one catch fire believe it or not You can install a new by-pass harness which is completely safe.
Oh Forgot to mention,, I would go with the dealer on this one and get the factory harness. Or, have your independent get the harness from the dealer and he can install it..