S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Broke down: help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 420 SEL
Broke down: help

So I am on the side of the road, love the new mobile app.

My stereo started acting weird, on for three seconds off. Then the srs and abs lights came on. Following this the interior lights dimmed head lights went out and the car died. I was going about 50, got to the side if the road. Would not start. I jumped it, ran for three minutes and then it died in a similar fashion. As I'm waiting for a your truck I wondered what help mb world could be. Please advise. Anyone want to buy a project car?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
Did you check under the hood to see if you belt is broken?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM

1989 420 SEL
I apologize for not following up.

I was on the side of the turnpike cold and missing some Saturday night activities which had been planned for awhile.

The belt was not broken. But it was in bad condition.

The alternator had gone. I bought a re-manufactured unit off peach parts. And installed it, aside from finding my wrenches getting to the store to buy some gum cutter, and finding an appropriate persuasion bar, no problem. I am having an issue with returning the core. Really, the only problem is finding the time to box it up and send it back.

While I was at it I replaced all of the belts, as they looked pretty poor. The double belt to the power-steering was easy once I found the bolts. The one to the alternator the same. I am having trouble swinging the tension roller to keep the good pressure on the belt for the compressor. The alternator belt, cake. But remember to loosen the screw on the back.

The air pump was a problem. I could not for the like of me, or the jb gum cutter in the world get the air pump to swing far enough to get the belt over it. Unable to accept failure. I took a risk, wrapped the belt as far as I could from the bottom up, and turned the engine over. Luckily, the belt popped right into place.

If anyone has advice for raising the tensionning roller, it would be helpful.

Anyone having trouble replacing belts, or their alternator, (Disclaimer: I am in no way a certified reliable source, and take no responsibility for any terrible advice I give.) I would be happy to advise what I found successful.

I am still having an issue where my car shifts at 3500 rpms. I don't know why and haven't found an answer. Any suggestions? I saw a topic about this a few weeks ago, but I haven't been able to find it since then.