S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

82 300sd - no start. stranded in Ames, Iowa.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 300sd
82 300sd - no start. stranded in Ames, Iowa.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; we've just about worn out our welcome at this gas station. So anyway the problem started when it wouldn't restart at a gas station.

Jump wouldn't start it. Walked over and bought a new battery - realized it was the starter. Returned battery to fund new starter. Pulled old starter (forgot to disconnect battery) and sparked the old starter during removal. Got the new starter and installed it. Currently:

-no crank, no click
-glow plug light doesn't come on
-batt light stays on constantly with no key. Goes off with key in on position
- glow plug light flashes for a second when key is turning from start to on (no click when key turned to start.
- jumping the wires in junction box = no crank
-jumping batt positive to starter solenoid = no crank

Could the brand new starter/solenoid be bad? What am i missing?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM

is a major sin when u touch any major electrical and not disconnect battery!

for a quick solution u can try to tow her about 30 mph in neutral and slide into D or S, not sure your gearing, try D first, since a merc has 2 oel pump in the tranny so it should fire up, if not u need a tow truck to get u home or to a garage.

should u have not F her up , there is a elec junction box on the left side of the fire wall ( when u stand infront of the hood.
just about the edge of the header/ overfill tank, between that and the engine, u should see a few thick wire connects there, the one of the thinner wire is the solenoid trigger, if u run a 12v to it it should kontact the solenoid and starter subsequently.
but now something is definitely wonky as those lights shouldn't come on. god knows what mess u're in now.
I do have to hand it to u, once i tried to remove the dead starter, i tried but it wasn't successful can see hardly any room to come out plus i didnt have the right allen wrench to use any power it was F ing tight, i ended up tow her to the starter guy pony up 80 smackers for the labour.
a rebuilt starter was 180 or so.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 AM

1958 MB 300d
Mess

Chances are, that you shorted out the alternator and maybe the glow plug relay.
Do as suggested above to tow start it, if you're far from home.
If it starts, you'll get home, even without alternator. If driving in the dark you'll run out of light if the battery goes dead.
Good Luck

where is this/are you ?
I am in CA.
Hope this helped, and like to hear how it went.....