S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Advice on storing a W126 420 SEL over winter period

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W126 420 SEL
Advice on storing a W126 420 SEL over winter period

Hello,

This is my first post and I am excited to have joined the MBWORLD community. I look forward to learning much about the wonderful W126 from fellow enthusiasts.

I have just recently become the proud joint-owner of a 1987 Mercedes W126 420 SEL in Willow Green, fulfilling a life-long ambition. I say “joint-owner” because my dad will have the pleasure of driving the car whilst I sit in the passenger seat...

The car has been extremely well cared for throughout its life with just two previous owners, comes with full service history, and has spent most of its life garaged. With just 86,000 miles on the clock the engine is super smooth and quiet and the bodywork is remarkable, in fact it would put many cars a quarter of its age to shame!

Obviously we are keen to keep it this way. As we only intend to use the car for occasional sight-seeing trips etc, we want to protect it from the cold and wet Scottish winter by storing the car away until the Spring. (As there don’t appear to be any mechanical issues with the car at present, we are going to wait until the Spring to have its first service under our ownership).

It wasn’t until we washed the car that we realised just how much these cars like to trap water. We had to go around with a hair drier to flush pools of moisture out from various nooks and crannies!

The car is being kept in an unheated garage, but mindful of how cold and damp the Scottish winters are, I have taken the precaution of purchasing a PermaBag from J.F. Stanley & Co, which we will seal the car in with the supplied canisters of desiccant so that we don’t have to worry about maintaining correct humidity levels in the garage.

Our knowledge of car mechanics is extremely basic and we have never stored a car away before. I would therefore be grateful for advice on any steps we should take prior to storage to ensure we are not greeted with a list of problems when we unveil the car again in the Spring.

E.g. what should we do with the battery, fluids, etc? Also once the car is sealed up in the PermaBag, are we best just to leave it untouched until the Spring, or should we remove the bag periodically and either let the car idle for a few minutes in the garage or take it out for a drive now and then?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
-You need to put a full tank of gas in it. Also add dry gas.
-Start it up once a week and let it run for 10-15Min.
-Make sure all the lights and accessories are OFF.- Interior lights, radio, A/C or heat.
-Fill up the tires with air more then you would want to and move the car foward and backwards to prevent balding on the tires.
-Check your coolant level's
-Clean the car inside and out. Wax it good and make sure no dirt and grim is underneither-Prevents rust
-Where will the car be stored? Heated Garage? Normal garage? Shed with open door? Get a nice car cover. Does not have to cost $$$$ but you can get a nice one from Nappa or Target.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 AM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

Originally Posted by ToTo Man
Hello,

This is my first post and I am excited to have joined the MBWORLD community. I look forward to learning much about the wonderful W126 from fellow enthusiasts.

I have just recently become the proud joint-owner of a 1987 Mercedes W126 420 SEL in Willow Green, fulfilling a life-long ambition. I say “joint-owner” because my dad will have the pleasure of driving the car whilst I sit in the passenger seat...

The car has been extremely well cared for throughout its life with just two previous owners, comes with full service history, and has spent most of its life garaged. With just 86,000 miles on the clock the engine is super smooth and quiet and the bodywork is remarkable, in fact it would put many cars a quarter of its age to shame!

Obviously we are keen to keep it this way. As we only intend to use the car for occasional sight-seeing trips etc, we want to protect it from the cold and wet Scottish winter by storing the car away until the Spring. (As there don’t appear to be any mechanical issues with the car at present, we are going to wait until the Spring to have its first service under our ownership).

It wasn’t until we washed the car that we realised just how much these cars like to trap water. We had to go around with a hair drier to flush pools of moisture out from various nooks and crannies!

The car is being kept in an unheated garage, but mindful of how cold and damp the Scottish winters are, I have taken the precaution of purchasing a PermaBag from J.F. Stanley & Co, which we will seal the car in with the supplied canisters of desiccant so that we don’t have to worry about maintaining correct humidity levels in the garage.

Our knowledge of car mechanics is extremely basic and we have never stored a car away before. I would therefore be grateful for advice on any steps we should take prior to storage to ensure we are not greeted with a list of problems when we unveil the car again in the Spring.

E.g. what should we do with the battery, fluids, etc? Also once the car is sealed up in the PermaBag, are we best just to leave it untouched until the Spring, or should we remove the bag periodically and either let the car idle for a few minutes in the garage or take it out for a drive now and then?

Thanks in advance!
* Test the engine coolant protection level.

* Add this product to the petrol tank
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/
follow the product directions.

* Remove the battery, and store it in an area that will remain above 2.7° C...

Enjoy the vehicle next year.

roy@pelicanparts.com

Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM

Mercedes W126 420 SEL
Thank you both for your advice. My car appears to be fitted with a Piranha Alarm Immobilizer. Does this complicate things with regards to removing the battery? (i.e. will the car become immobilized?)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Yes

Originally Posted by ToTo Man
Thank you both for your advice. My car appears to be fitted with a Piranha Alarm Immobilizer. Does this complicate things with regards to removing the battery? (i.e. will the car become immobilized?)
The alarm will be activated = the car will become immobilized.
When the battery is replaced, you should be able to disarm the system.

roy@pelicanparts.com

Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 AM

Mercedes W126 420 SEL
Following the successful storage of my W126 420 SEL in a PermaBag in my garage last year, and some wonderful driving memories through the spring/summer/autumn (including use as the 'wedding car' at my brother's wedding!), the time has come to store her away again.

I know that I've NOT to store the car with the handbrake engaged, but I cannot for the life of me recall whether I stored the car with the Automatic Gearbox shiftstick set to 'P' (Park) or 'N' (Neutral). Which one is best to avoid things ceasing up??