S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

New member, new owner here!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 420SEL
New member, new owner here!

Hey all,

Just recently purchased a 1988 420 SEL.

Pretty happy with it so far, but looking for any advice anyone might have!

Looking for some direction on a few things.

Car sounds like it needs new wheel bearings, and the alignment is clearly off (the thing dogtracks down the road) Anyone have a line on well priced parts for the bearings and other supplies needed to do that repair?

Also looking for replacement pieces for the windows:
-(Little plastic slot that slides along the greased track) for the left rear window.
-electric window motor (do I need to use an MB specific one?)

I'll be looking to fix the sunroof soon, but that's not as pressing as the other stuff.

I know a little about the car, but otherwise I'm a complete newbie. Am I best off going to e-bay or are there some other resources I might look into?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
88Leviathan,

Congrats on the purchase of your S-Class. These are truly wonderful cars, and with proper maintenance they will last a very long time.

If you are looking for new Wheel Bearings, we offer them on our site HERE, or you can get to them by clicking on the photo of the Wheel Bearing Kit below.

We also offer the correct (MB Spec 265.1) Wheel Bearing Grease so that when you change the Wheel Bearings, you can be sure you are using the proper lubricant.

As far as the plastic part on the window you are referring to, I am assuming it is a Window Regulator Sliding Jaw. We have them available on our site HERE, or you can get to them by clicking on the photo of it below.

I hope this helps you get your car running well, and if there is anything else I can help you find, please feel free to post or send a PM!