S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Need Help with 1985 500SEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 Mercedes Benz 500SEL
Need Help with 1985 500SEL

Hello All,

I am new to this group and a new owner of a 85 500SEL which was given to me by my father n law that just passed away. His wish was for me to restore it and give it to my wife as a gift from him. I really need some help here. I am mechanically inclined when it comes to Chevys but Benz is a different ball park. The car sat for 2 years or so and i just replaced the battery and it started up. Problem i and having is a very rough idle and a knocking noise. As i drove it it sputters and does not have much power. Any suggestion on what i should try to do to correct this problem. Also I have electrical issues. My A/C does not work nor the blower. Checked the fuses and the #10 is okay. My driver side window works but the other 3 do not. Any help will be greatly apprecaiated.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:49 AM

You might want to try http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/. There seems to be more activity over there and they're pretty good for asking questions and getting advice.

This site seems to have more activity with the newer models.

Last edited by London380sl; 09-02-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 AM

1985 Mercedes Benz 500SEL
London380sl.... I will Thank you!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:20 PM

1988 560SEL
Need a little basic info ...

Originally Posted by rholmond
London380sl.... I will Thank you!
There are myriad possible reasons for the items you've listed, so We need more info, "including but not limited to" ...
a. your location - altitude/humidity can sometimes make a difference ...
b. where prior maintenance had been done; there MAY be reputable / knowledgeable shops near you ...
c. total odometer mileage ... cam chains CAN stretch ot chain guides can wear down ... Tip; put a timing light on the motor - IF the strobe shows erratic movement when idling, chain stretch or chain-guide wear is highly likely ...
d. have you drained the OLD petrol & refilled with 91 octane?
e. Non-FACTORY Manufacturer of Ignition components can often yield HORRIBLE driveability ...
f. SPARK PLUGS!!! [Just a "Note" ... perhaps this may help; I charmed the local NAPA guys at the parts counter to CROSS the NGK BP5ES to THEIR number & they have them ... THEIR number is NAPA 7832 for the spark plug. If you attempt to use their online parts lookup & enter your vehicle yr/make/model, their system won't show the plug, & using their "parts search" box (even w/o the Veh Info) will not show any result for "NGK BP5ES", so just call your local NAPA & ask for Their P/N 7832 Spark Plug.] NEVER(!) EVER(!) go to or trust Autozone, Checker, O'Reilly, MOST 'Online' sites for ACCURATE info on parts; I have learned this the hard way ...
g. Beg, Borrow, &/or Steal the FACTORY Interactive Maintenance/Service Manuals CD's/DVD ... they are worth their weight in Jim Morrison Autographs!

RSVP; I have the AllData Membership, good for a couple more months & ALL THE ABOVE has me at 340,000 miles on my odometer ... & counting ...

Hope this allows you to BEGIN to become familiar with HOW these machines are different from other domestic V-8s ... Cheers, Jollies, Register, Vote - Happy Labor Day!