S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

question: turn motor to top position. Please help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question: turn motor to top position. Please help.

I'll make it short and technical so you guys can easily get what I'm saying.

First, what am I trying to do: replace head gasket. This is the first time I ever done this. What I did was took off the head, undo the chain off the chain plate. Machine the head. Then put them back with gasket.
First problem I encounter was the chain was so tight that I couldn't put it back on the plate so I turned the motor when the chain was half on the plate and it strip. Which means the motor and valves/cam are all off now. I thought it was ok untill I called for help and found out I messed it up.
Now I know that before I took the chain off the plate, I need to turn the motor to the top position #1 and when I put everything back, I need to break off the chain lock at the top position so that I don't mess up the timming.

Now seen I messed up the timming already. I think what I need to do are
1- get the motor to the top position by turning the motor bolt until the front most piston at the highest position
2- then someturn turn the all the valves/cam to the top position also
3- install and adjust the distributor correctly

Did I get it correct? And how do I do the -2- and -3- steps which is getting all the valves/cam and the distributor to the top position?

It is a 1990 300se 6 cylinders. Coolant in oil leaking head gasket problem.

Please help.
Thank much guys.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RNMB
I'll make it short and technical so you guys can easily get what I'm saying.

First, what am I trying to do: replace head gasket. This is the first time I ever done this. What I did was took off the head, undo the chain off the chain plate. Machine the head. Then put them back with gasket.
First problem I encounter was the chain was so tight that I couldn't put it back on the plate so I turned the motor when the chain was half on the plate and it strip. Which means the motor and valves/cam are all off now. I thought it was ok untill I called for help and found out I messed it up.
Now I know that before I took the chain off the plate, I need to turn the motor to the top position #1 and when I put everything back, I need to break off the chain lock at the top position so that I don't mess up the timming.

Now seen I messed up the timming already. I think what I need to do are
1- get the motor to the top position by turning the motor bolt until the front most piston at the highest position
2- then someturn turn the all the valves/cam to the top position also
3- install and adjust the distributor correctly

Did I get it correct? And how do I do the -2- and -3- steps which is getting all the valves/cam and the distributor to the top position?

It is a 1990 300se 6 cylinders. Coolant in oil leaking head gasket problem.

Please help.
Thank much guys.
No! Don't turn the engine.

Pardon me for not knowing the engine you have but I think there is a tentioner somewhere. It will have to be removed before you can reconnect the chain. Also I need a pardon for pointing out the bad news. If the cam shaft is on the head and you have turned the crank without a timming chain on the cam you may have already messed up the valves. I don't think it is possible to turn the crank and the cam with the correct relationship without a chain installed.

I would pull the head. Take it to be checked by a machinist. He can apply vaccume with a small pump and the proper rubber plates.

Find a book to help with the reassembly.

Here is an overview.

Find out if the chain can be replaced without removing the chain cover. You might be able to remove the master link, attach a new chain to it and "feed" it through the cover. If not, take the cover off and put a new chain on the pulleys. Put the cover back on.

Turn the crank to TDC. #1 piston should be a the top of the cylinder and the timming mark on the crank pulley should be on zero. It may differ slightly look at the book on your engine.

There are also timming marks on the cam sproket or the washer holding it on the cam. It should line up with the mark on the cam tower. When you have done this you can install the head.

When the crank and the cam are on their marks the rotor button should point to where the #1 plugwire attaches to the cap. If it dosen't, take the distributor out and move the rotor so that it does.

After making all this happen turn the engine a couple of revolution BY HAND to see if things are timmed right. If you do this before you install the sparkplugs it will be easier to turn.

Put all the other junk back and start the thing. If it don't start recheck the distributor timming. Lord help you friend.

I am guessing this is a straight six because your of your statement, "What I did was took off the head." Also your reference to cam and not cams.

If you live in the upstate of SC I may be able to help you get it going.

Best of luck.

Dan

Last edited by dan howard; 10-21-2004 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Misspelled words