S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

300SE amg exhaust install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300SE
300SE amg exhaust install w/video

Here is a quick video of the exhaust

I apologize for the overload of pictures. The car I am fiddling with is a 1988 300SE.
The car did not come with an exhaust. So this was the first of many to-do things on the car.

This is the pile if parts I had gathered to piece together my exhaust system
The muffler was off a 2012 cl63. The axle back was originally from the right side(passenger) so I had trimmed and relocated the tips to fit my car which is on the left side.

Then thought maybe a polished muffler may look a little cooler

I tried to fabricate the exhaust so it would be a direct bolt on for any w126 300se. The only mods I had to do on the car to accept the exhaust was weld 2 hangers for the muffler to attach to near the rear end of the car.
Started by making the dual piping slightly bigger. Factory was about 1.7in dual piping(inner diameter) to 2in dual piping(outer) merged into a single 2.5in(outer diameter).
The merge collector was made from a split into dual exhaust. Cut and capped one outlet.
I am unsure if the pipe size I had choose was ideal but figured going a little bigger than factory can't hurt cus that's what aftermarket companies do.
All bends were cut and rearranged from mandrel bent pipes and not crush bent

I had tried to the best of my abilities to make this system as free flowing and smooth as possible. The system can definately be improved in many areas. This being my first experience making an exhaust system, was a fun and great learning experience.

Will post a sound clip here shortly.

Next on the to-do is to tune the engine. It ran decently when I had gotten it. Then I had started to fiddle with the duty cycle and all that and had made it worse. I'm in the process of making a list in the order of what to test, tune, replace, or fix. Read many different threads but couldn't conclude what to test in proceeding order

Open to any tips or advice good or bad

Last edited by Mikizzle; 09-16-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Adding more info